The post-Mardi Gras slump is real

What happens when the best week of the entire year is over?

It’s Mardi season and the hype is real. There’s no doubt your newsfeed is now filled with pictures of last year’s colorful outfits, boot cups and elevated surfaces with the captions like “’tis the season” or “can’t wait to do it again.”

You cant focus on studying for your tests the week before with your three visitors asking what to bring and if they’ll have a bed to sleep in (the answer is always no).

You’ve done your Walmart trip, your thrift shopping and finally it’s time to pardi.

What your Facebook looks like leading up to Mardi

The rest of the week is a blur of beads, booze and craziness. You make it to tequila sunrise, and if you’re really a trooper, to Zulu.

Fat Tuesday for Tulane students consists of one big meal and crawling into bed for what could be the rest of your life, thinking about how you don’t think you can ever recover.

But what’s worse than week-delayed hangover is the sudden realization that you have school tomorrow — and homework due.

It doesn’t matter you haven’t been sober nor gotten more than 10 hours of sleep in total for the past week. It’s back to reality bright and early for your Wednesday 8am.

The struggle of the post-Mardi Gras slump is absolutely real and it is most definitely a thing. For starters, you haven’t put anything in your body besides Boot pizza and Hurricanes for 5 days. Besides the fact spring break is coming, this diet just ruined your body internally and externally.

Your body craves fruits and vegetables, but your mind is facing serious withdrawal from alcohol and partying, and food is your only way of coping. Throwing away the easy mac and giant tub of goldfish means Mardi Gras is officially over, and there is no worse feeling than that.

Made it to Zulu. Now to bed we go…

You were having the time of your life for the past week and suddenly, you’re flooded with homework.

The difference of Monday night to Tuesday night of Mardi Gras defines the saying “0 to 100 real quick.” It is definitely not normal or healthy to go from having the time of your life at the boot to being back at your desk writing a paper within hours.

Just like there needs to be a day between Saturday and Sunday, Tulane needs a transition day between Fat Tuesday and starting classes again.

A typical Mardi breakfast

“I’m never drinking again” is heard more on in this week than any other time of the year. We’ve all been drunk for almost a week and the hangover is hitting hard. Ok, Happy Hour at The Boot the Wednesday after Mardi is a little aggressive, but by Friday we should be able to rally. I mean, we do to a party school people should be able to rally.

But what is up with everyone going home the weekend after Mardi Gras? You’re just making it harder for the rest of us to get out of our slumps.

To make it all worse we never fully catch up on our sleep. The only reasonable excuse for not going out after Mardi Gras is if you still aren’t caught up on your sleep and if you did Mardi right, you probably wont be for a very long time.

Truth be told, the sleep deprivation, homework overload, and post-partying withdrawal depression was worth it.

Tulane national-us