UTK law professor tweets controversial message about Charlotte, NC protests

Glenn Reynolds’ account was temporarily suspended

University of Tennessee law professor Glenn Reynolds is under fire after he tweeted a controversial message about the protests in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The tweet was a response to a local news station’s live coverage of protesters blocking the highway and trapping drivers on I-277.

Reynolds is the founder of the political blog Instapundit, and a conservative columnist for USA Today. His tweet immediately sparked social media uproar, causing many Twitter users to demand his account be suspended. Twitter did suspend his account, but later unblocked it after he deleted the controversial tweet.

The Dean of the College of Law at UTK, Melanie Wilson, released a statement this morning responding to Reynolds’s tweet.

“My colleagues and I in the university’s leadership support peaceful civil disobedience and all forms of free speech, but we do not support violence or language that encourages violence.”

Wilson also said university faculty and administrators are investigating the matter.

Reynolds is currently active on Twitter but plans to suspend his account in the next “day or two.”

University of Tennessee