The hidden gems only people from Nashville know about

Wait there’s more than just bars with cowboy hats and guitars on Broadway?

As someone who has lived in Nashville my whole life (before it was cool), I’m quite a brat about it. I am so incredibly proud of my city and where I come from, I get a bit hostile with others who claim to be from Nashville when they’re actually an hour outside of it.

I once had a friend tell me I didn’t live in Nashville because you couldn’t get the famous Nashville sky-line geo filter on Snapchat on my couch. I, however, rep the 615 area code and 37205 zip code and I will never let anyone (especially tourists) take my city away from me. So now I have established my credibility (and hostility), I’ll share a few of my favorite places with you.

12 South

Almost every time I visit, a new mural has popped up

12 South is my go to hangout and all time favorite neighborhood in Nashville. Resting near Belmont, 12 South is an area that’s gained a lot of popularity in the past few years. Not only does its restaurants boast impressive, original menus, but they’re also housed in some of the coolest buildings you’ll ever eat in.

But wait there’s more! 12 south is covered in murals. Yes, this is where the infamous “I believe in Nashville” mural is painted where you will also see a line to take pictures here. But turn any corner and you’ll see some form of art.

Love Circle

Love Circle is another neighborhood in Nashville off of West End. Love Circle boasts one of the best views of Nashville. There’s a small park atop the hill of the neighborhood with a view that rewards those were able to make it up the incredibly winding hill without their car breaking down.

The thing about Love Circle that separates it from other views is Love Circle provides its guests with a 360 panorama view of Nashville. You can see forests and mountains on one side, and skyscrapers and a booming city on the other side. This view is incredibly difficult to capture on camera while doing it justice.

Centennial Park

Marissa’s senior picture at Centennial Park

I know what you’re thinking: “She’s no local! Everyone’s been to Centennial Park!” That’s true. I think I’ve been on at least five school field trips there not to mention practically being raised there by my parents in the summers. But this is a specific part of Centennial Park that is so beautiful, especially now in the spring.

This hidden gem is past the gardens and on the east side of the Parthenon. Everyone has seen the pond because it’s so big and it’s right behind the Parthenon. Partially hidden behind willow leaves and off the walking path, sits a little picnic table. There is also a ring of stones around the pond providing extra seating. This is a particularly quiet, peaceful part of a big park and great for reading or homework.

Bobby’s Dairy Dip

Okay I tried to stay away from restaurants on this list because Nashville has so many amazing restaurants, but Bobby’s isn’t a restaurant. It’s more of a shack on the side of Charlotte Pike. Sounds super sketchy, but they have the most amazing milkshakes in Nashville. As their window says, Bobby’s isn’t fast food. They’re milkshakes (and the rest of their menu) is all handmade so don’t expect to get your burger and shake in two minutes. I highly recommend the chocolate peanut butter milkshake.

The Bicentennial Mall

Half of you are wondering what I am thinking again, since this is another popular field trip destination. But for those of you who haven’t been, it includes a farmers market, inside restaurants, all of Tennessee’s history carved into granite, and a huge map of the state of Tennessee which you can walk across and finally understand some basic state geography.

But this gem comes with a tip too. If you hangout around the Bicentennial mall on weekends when the weather is above 60, you will most likely get free food. This has not failed me yet.

I bought hand made donuts from the cutest elderly couple at a booth in the famers market and they gave me extra ones for free! The picture shows fancy tacos that look like they were $15 each, but surprisingly they were free. We got to see a free show in the outside amphitheater of a young band practicing, and grabbed some awesome tacos from some kind souls just giving out tacos. (Please refrain from drooling on your iPhone/ laptop/tablet.)

I know many more of the secrets Nashville holds, but I have to keep some to myself before the tourists find them. Now say you’ve already been to all of these places and knew all of these things and thin my article is super lame, I have another almost fool proof way to adventure through Nashville. Step 1: Pick a day when the weather is nice. Step 2: Hop in your car and drive.

University of Tennessee