BREAKING: AEPI President Ari Goldstein charged with attempted rape and more

The 21-year-old was recently dismissed from his position amid criminal investigation into his fraternity.

The Philadelphia Police have arrested and charged former Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPI) President Ari Goldstein with indecent assault, attempted rape, and more, according to court document.

The Philadelphia District Attorney's office confirmed to Philadelphia Magazine, who first reported on this story, that they had arraigned Goldstein on Wednesday and requested a bail of two-million dollars due to the seriousness of the crime.

The charges come amid an ongoing investigation into a number of allegations against the fraternity regarding sexual assault and pervasive underage drinking.

It is unclear if the these charges are related to the ongoing investigation into the fraternity as the Philadelphia DAO has declined to comment on grounds that both are ongoing investigations.

Jonathan Pierce, a spokesman at Alpha Epsilon Pi’s national headquarters, said Goldstein was removed from his position when the fraternity was being investigated last month, according to Philly Magazine.

“As this plays out, we will make decisions as to [Goldstein’s] membership status in our organization,” Pierce said. “Obviously we believe, like everybody should, in being innocent until proven guilty and continue to cooperate with authorities and with Temple University and will await the final verdict and then make decisions.

“If these charges are proven to be accurate, then I daresay [Goldstein] would be removed from the fraternity — completely expelled from the fraternity. There is no place for these kinds of actions amongst any of our brothers in Alpha Epsilon Pi.”

If any student has more information or needs support, please contact Temple Police at 215-204-1234 ([email protected]) or the Wellness Resource Center at 215-204-8436 ([email protected]).

More to come.

UPDATE: The Temple News reports Ari Goldstein was charged with attempted involuntary deviate sexual intercourse instead of statutory sexual assault of a minor eight to 11 years younger. Philly Magazine states, “It’s unclear at this time why the charges in the system are incorrect,” says DA’s office spokesman Ben Waxman, “but we are working to get the information updated as quickly as possible.”

Temple University