U.S. Senator Cory Booker will address the Class of 2018 at Temple’s 131st Commencement ceremony

Booker is one of the three Honorary Degree recipients for 2018

U.S. Senator Cory Booker will be addressing Temple's class of 2018 during the May 10th commencement ceremony.

Booker is New Jersey's first African American senator and two term Mayor of Newark. He is also a graduate of Stanford University where he was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship, allowing him to continue his education at the University of Oxford before starting at Yale University to begin his law degree. Booker is known for his lifelong committed to public service, allowing him to join the nearly 900 recipients of honorary degrees bestowed by Temple University.

Joining Booker are two fellow Philadelphia professionals, Robert Bogle and Meryl Levitz who will also receive their honorary degrees on May 10th.

Bogle is the CEO of the Philadelphia Tribune, America's oldest and largest newspaper to serve the African American community.

Bogle is an active member of the African American Chamber of Commerce, the Hospitals and Higher Education Facilities Authority, the Philadelphia Orchestra Association, Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau, and the Zoological Society.

He additionally served for more than twenty years as chairman of Cheyney University Council of Trustees. His overall commitment to the community has been heavily noticed by the Temple University community, personally defining Temple's mission to serve its students.

Fellow recipient Meryl Levitz will receive her honorary degree for her personal commitment to the Philadelphia community as well. Since starting Visit Philadelphia, the city has turned into one the top rated travel destinations.

Levitz redefined the city by co-founding the Center City Proprietors Association, overseeing the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing, and co-directing the opening of the Pennsylvania Convention Center and the Reading Terminal Market.

The School of Social Work will also specifically award an honorary degree to Temple graduate Toni Oliver who devoted her social work career to the empowerment of people of color.

Temple University