Temple students took part of Walk TU, the walk to end sexual violence

The walk began at the Founder’s Garden at 11:30 a.m.

College campuses around the country are advocating more than ever for sexual assault awareness including our very own university. Recent statistics show that 11.2% of all students experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation while at college.

Most survivors do not report their assault but with events like Walk TU, students can feel empowered to know that they are never alone with what they experienced in the past or currently experiencing.

And that's why this walk is significant for sexual violence survivors on campus. The atmosphere of Walk TU was nothing but welcoming as the people surrounding everyone were all there because they wanted to stand up for a cause that has affected too many college students.

Despite the weather and it being election season, Walk TU did not become anyone's excuse to promote themselves but a time to put this cause in the forefront as S.A.A.S.A., TSG, and other student activists have been doing for a while now.

Walk TU highlights

Students gathered around Founder's Garden for Walk TU at 11:30 a.m. for this event designed to include everyone within our campus community and create space for all survivors of sexual violence.

This year, Chimi Boyd-Keyes, a national speaker, trainer, and entrepreneur⏤shared insight into community connection and addressed sexual violence at the intersections. Temple Student Government president Tyrell Mann-Barnes also spoke alongside Amelia Burns, president of Students Activists Against Sexual Assault at Temple University.

Image may contain: Word, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora, Crowd, Person, People, Human, Text, Banner

Amelia (left) and Tyrell (right) leading Walk TU.

Image may contain: Back, Person, People, HumanImage may contain: Smile, Portrait, Face, Text, Banner, Person, People, Human

For both Burns and Barnes, today was very surreal.

"A few years ago, I joined Student Activist Against Sexual Assault and I recall our E-board discussing making a Walk a Mile more inclusive," said Barnes. "Thankfully, the Wellness Resource Center was very receptive to that idea. It is a phenomenal feeling to see so many students show up in the rain for such an important cause for a second year. If I have learned anything, it is that change is no longer on the horizon, or in the hereafter, it is already here. Let's actively make a difference together."

Burns, who is an activist against sexual violence and other causes, is proud to have led this event with S.A.A.S.A.

"I was just really excited to participate in the planning process for this event," Burns said. "It’s my second year helping to build Walk TU and I’m really proud of all of the efforts to make it a more inclusive space for people. I'm happy with the turn out and how engaged students on campus are becoming on the topic of sexual violence prevention and awareness. I hope people continue to show support and get involved!"

Burns also said S.A.A.S.A will be having a cookie fundraiser tomorrow from 10p.m. to 1 a.m. on the corner of Carlisle & Norris street.

Temple University