Temple graduate Mary Salisbury will be honored by Philadelphia Public Relations Association after spinal cord injury

PPRA will be hosting a Happy Hour where all proceeds benefit Salisbury’s recovery.

College seniors around the country are entering panic mode as graduation is quickly approaching. While everyone is in search of dream jobs or a graduate school acceptance⏤2017 Temple graduate, Mary Salisbury, found herself in a much different situation.

Just a few weeks after graduation, Salisbury landed her first full-time position at Tonic Life Communications.

With a degree in Journalism and a minor in Business, Salisbury was ready to start her journey in the PR world. Within three weeks of starting her first full-time job, Mary’s life was turned upside down when she found herself struggling with a spinal cord injury.

Image may contain: Yard, Outdoors, Backyard, Vehicle, Transportation, Bike, Bicycle, Wheelchair, Furniture, Chair, Person, People, Human, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora

Meet Mary Salisbury

“My injury is called a spinal infarction. It's essentially a stroke, but it occurred in my spine instead of my brain where they normally occur. So, it left me with a spinal cord injury.”

According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, “a spinal code infarction is a stroke within the spinal code or the arteries that supply it. It is caused by arteriosclerosis or a thickening or closing of the major arteries to the spinal cord.”

At just 23, the West Chester native is rehabilitating from paralysis caused as a result of her injury.

The Philadelphia Public Relations Association (PPRA) is planning to honor Mary by holding “Happy Hour with PPRA Member Mary Salisbury”, in which all proceeds will go towards Mary’s ongoing care as well as Magee Rehabilitation Hospital where Mary is currently receiving outpatient therapy.

Happy Hour will take place on April 12th from 5:30 to 7:30 at Field House, located at 1150 Filbert Street.

This event will feature a silent auction which will feature items and experiences, ranging from the Philadelphia Flyers, Kimmel Center, Bru Craft and Wurst, and so much more. The event will feature celebrity bartenders including CBS3’s Pat Gallen, 94WIP’s Jon Marks, WOGL 98.1’s Marilyn Russel as well as others.

“Competition for even entry level PR jobs can be fierce. The fact that Mary got her foot in the door meant she has something going for her. Talent. Perseverance. Maybe a bit of both,” says PPRA President Adam Dvorin. “Someday⏤hopefully soon⏤I will learn Mary Salisbury is back at work and living the life she envisioned before her injury. When that happens, it will be a victory that all of us in PPRA will celebrate.”

To support our fellow Owl and to register for PPRA’s event honoring Mary Salisbury, visit PPRA’s website or call 215-557-9865. Tickets are $25 per person and include two drinks and appetizers.

Donations can be sent to the Mary Salisbury Special Needs Fund; Citadel Credit Union; 4 Ponds Edge Drive; Chadds Ford, PA 19317

Temple University