Temple’s new library receives historic $1 million donation

The gift will support The Albert M. Greenfield Special Collections Research Center Reading Room in Temple’s new library

The Albert M. Greenfield Foundation has made a historic one million dollar donation to Temple University's new library, set to open in 2019.

The donation will support the Special Collections Research Center, located on the first floor of the library and named after Albert M. Greenfield. This gift will provide long term funding to help maintain the space in the future and it's the largest commitment ever made to Temple libraries.

“This major gift from The Albert M. Greenfield Foundation will honor Mr. Greenfield’s enduring legacy by linking his name to our incredible new special collections facilities in perpetuity and helping ensure that these facilities will operate at their full promise,” Dean of Libraries Joseph Lucia said. “This transformative gift will allow Mr. Greenfield’s spirit of philanthropy to live on in the generations of students whose learning it supports and inspires.”

This gift will help extend Mr. Greenfield's legacy by demonstrating his commitment to his community, helping to educate students, current and the future.

Mr. Greenfield also served on the Board of Trustees at Temple University for twenty years, from 1927 until 1947.

“This gift to the new library recognizes Albert M. Greenfield’s long history of supporting Temple University and his belief in its important educational mission,” said Priscilla M. Luce, president of The Albert M. Greenfield Foundation.

The new 210,000 square foot library, located at 13th Street and Polett Walk will be a 24/7 study space for Temple students. Its innovative design will help broaden learning throughout the community.

Funding opportunities for the currently unnamed Temple library are available at the Temple Libraries website.

Temple University