Temple students demand a better response from university

Students express their concerns with our university on social media

The Temple community has been left in shock following the death of a fifth university student this semester.

Following each death, an email has been sent out to all students, sending their condolences to the families and reminding students of counseling services available through Tuttleman.

While we have been told to reach out to the Campus Safety Services, the IDEAL office, Student Health Services, Tuttleman Counseling Services, and The Wellness Resource Center―Temple students are voicing their opinions on social media to say, 'This is not enough'.

According to research conducted by the National Alliance on Mental Illness, one in four college students have a diagnosable illness and nearly 40% fail to seek help.

In 2013, the Association for University and College Counseling Center found that 36.4% of students reported they experienced some level of depression.

The Anxiety and Depression Association of America reported that nearly 75% of those affected by anxiety will experience their first episode before the age of 22.

Mental illness is real. Substance abuse is real. After five student deaths in less than four months, it’s time to take action.

Temple University students have expressed their feelings on social media about a better response and more resources than the ones that we have now.

Temple University