From home-cooked meals to meal swipes―this is how to make Temple feel like home

In a large school like ours, adjusting is just another step of college

Everyone can agree there is no better feeling than coming home from a long day at school, and immediately jumping into your bed.

Nothing can compare to your warm comforter, your cluttered desk, the pink lipstick stain on your carpet, or the silly teal blue walls you picked out when you were little.

Let's not forget the same, old streets we always drove around or the memorable Wawa trips with our friends. It was those small moments that we spent falling asleep on the couch while watching a movie, scaring your little brother, hugging your mom after a bad day, and dancing in your room―that made home, home.

You didn't realize this until your bags are already packed and you are miles away. So how are we expected to pick up everything and head to a new place, and suddenly make it our new home?

Although, it made be hard to make this large university your home, it will be soon enough. Here's some ways you could make Temple your home away from home.

Hang up pictures in your dorm with your favorite memories

Decorating your dorm is the best part of moving in, it's a fact

Before I moved in, I created an album of my favorite photos of my friends, family, and I. This was essential since my goal was to make my dorm feel like it was my home away from home.

If you are ever having a stressful day (aka most days as a college student), or just feeling homesick―you can just look at all your favorite memories with your favorite people to remind you that your loved ones are always right there with you.

By having these photos, I feel like my loved ones are right here with me in my tiny dorm in North Philly. It shows that I'm here not only to make myself proud, but them too.

As you can see, I may have gone overboard! However, what's better than seeing your loved ones faces when you're falling asleep and as soon as you wake up?

Get yourself into an everyday routine

~life motto~

~life motto~

Whether if you realized it or not, you created some sort of a routine for yourself when you were home. Every morning, my alarm clock would obnoxiously ring at 6:30am for school, and I would ever so slowly roll out of bed.

I would brush my teeth, wash my face, put my uniform on, then do my makeup. When I got home from school, I would have a snack, lay in bed, put on The Office, take a nap, and then do my homework.

Now, I know taking a nap and watching The Office shouldn't be apart of a everyday school routine, but we all need a break at some point in the day, and that is my ideal break.

My everyday school routine at Temple is pretty similar despite the fact I actually get to sleep in a little bit more, thank God.

My favorite thing to do in the morning at Temple is go to Cosi and order a squagel and a large caramel latte. No joke, the squagel's and coffee at Cosi is what motivates me to get out of bed some mornings. After classes, I try my best to get myself to the gym, then I have some down time (aka The Office and nap time), and then I get all my homework and showering done. By getting yourself into a routine, you adjust to the people and surroundings around you much faster, you are more motivated, and you take care of yourself and your work.

Get involved, it's worth it

Shoutout to Temple Talk for being amazing

Yes, I know you are 100% tired of everyone telling you to get involved, but I know realize how important it actually is. In high school, they tell you to get involved, just like they do at Temple, and I never did in high school, which I regret.

So this year, I made it my mission to make myself get involved in some way. I went to Temple Fest and got a peak of what it's like to be involved at Temple, and it looked like nothing but fun and success.

Not only does getting involved at Temple help you make new friends, but it helps you gain experience, internships, and networking skills that we all need to lead successful careers.

I joined a handful of clubs, but the one I am most involved in and enjoy the most (besides The Tab Temple obviously), is Temple Talk.

Temple Talk is apart of TUTV, and it is a entertainment talk show, that is not only entertaining, but also funny and informative. I am apart of the Public Relations/Social Media team there, which will help me gain so much experience and knowledge in PR and communications, which is what I need to build my resume in order to kickstart my future career. By getting yourself involved here at Temple, you are just adding to the friends, fun, and experiences Temple already offers us.

Have a go-to spot on campus *cough* it's the Tech

Welcome MTV, this is my new crib

Welcome MTV, this is my new crib

If anyone is like me, I am one to hibernate in my room and instead of doing homework, I somehow end up on Netflix or Youtube. In order to escape my Netflix and Youtube addict ways, I found the perfect homework and study go-to spot at Temple―the Tech Center.

In my opinion, the Tech Center is a great escape spot because everyone around you is doing homework. This keeps you motivated to finish your assignments plus the chairs are super comfy. By having a go-to-spot on campus you're able to head on there if you ever want to stay focused or need a little motivation to finish homework. This specific spot will be the place where you're most productive, motivated, and focused.

Find a group of friends that make you happy

Look mom! I made friends

Look mom! I made friends

Making new friends is everyone's most anticipated yet most dreaded part about college. It's extremely overwhelming and stressful going into a school with 39,000 kids and not having a solid group of friends.

Lucky for me, one of my best friends from high school chose Temple as well, and the bubbly girl from my orientation group and my roommate are slowly but surely, becoming some of my best friends.

Surrounding yourself with good, genuine people that make you happy and feel good about yourself is crucial, especially through the next stressful, yet exciting four years. Make sure to remind yourself that we have only been on campus for a little more than a month, good things (like making good, life-long friends) take time.

To me, home was never a specific place, it was always the feeling and moments I experienced when I was surrounded by the people I love, the place where I never felt alone. These are the people that are going to make Temple home for you, make sure you pick them well.

Temple University