Meet the Temple student who interned at 30 Rock over the summer, and yes we’re all jealous

Apparently Miley Cyrus is the sweetest person ever?

Under the bright lights of New York City, Temple senior Max Blake spent his summer nights interning under the legendary comedic icon Jimmy Fallon at Rockefeller Center.

The internship at The Tonight Show made him change his perspective on a career in an entertainment, opening bigger and grander opportunities.

In Studio 6B, where it all began, you could have found Max. He didn’t just have the opportunity to attend The Tonight Show, he actually interned there this past summer.

Had to leave Studio 6B today. Thank you to the entire Tonight Show staff for giving a kid a chance at 30 Rock this summer. Can't wait for this life I have ahead of me.

A post shared by MB (@maxblake11) on Aug 18, 2017 at 2:33pm PDT

As a previous intern at the Agency for the Performing Arts (APA) in Los Angeles during the summer of 2016, Blake was not even vying to be a part of the television industry.

In a series of fortunate, yet unexpected events, Blake found himself acting for the independent film Howeds. While he struggled with lines and getting comfortable on set, he soon met two people on set who worked on The Tonight Show.

They eventually convinced him to go out for it, even though his desire was somewhat teetering. So, with few expectations, Blake was eventually convinced to apply to The Tonight Show, where he excelled in his interview.

He remembers waking up at 3 A.M. to catch the train to 30 Rock from Philly, wearing purple shirt and tie, which are the colors of NBC. That was his good luck charm; once in the lobby waiting for his interview, he met an intern who was his year at Temple.

It was then that he knew it was fate. And like the master finesser that he is, Max was offered a job at the celebrated talk show three weeks later.

Max, a senior media studies and production major with a minor in strategic communication considers himself more of a business guy.

Initially, Blake had his sight set on companies like HBO (an Insecure fan?), but fortunately for him, while the rest of us waited tables in Italian restaurants, babysat screaming children, or bagged groceries―he was stationed at one of television's most prolific late night shows.

However, in a strong of luck, Blake accidentally became assistant to the senior segment producer. How one accidentally lands a badass position escapes me, but Blake made it happen.

"I spent a good chunk of the day researching human interest stories like kids with amazing talents or pet tricks and pitch several ideas to her everyday", he explains, "I helped out with shoots that were outside the studio like when Jimmy and Miley surprised everyone on the subway. I got to see the preparation that went into every show and how hard these people work five days a week. I took the bus from my parents house everyday and always tried to stop and get a coffee at Lenny's. They always remembered me and took care of me. You don't forget things like that."

The experience not only diversified his already unique résumé, but gained him wisdom and insight into a section of the entertainment industry that he may not have otherwise seen.

It was an internship that introduced him to the grit of entertainment, where he was able to do more than just say he "did it". Max was able to both "do it" and see the positive feedback.

Where a Temple education can take you

Where a Temple education can take you

With graduation soon upon him, Blake is prepared to immediately go to work in the entertainment industry. While he hopes to work for a company for the majority of his life and after he makes it onto Kim Kardashian-West's Instagram, manages our favorite celebrities, and attends the Oscars―teaching is also an option for when he's a seasoned talent agent in (hopefully) Los Angeles.

As for his favorite memory?

Well, "[It was] easily coordinating the subway concert with Miley Cyrus and I got to work with her really closely and she's honestly one of the sweetest people that I've ever met… that was easily my favorite memory was watching that whole thing come together."

The best of luck, Max, and do you think you could get my résumé to Trevor Noah? Asking for a friend.

Temple University