Why the new SAC isn’t worth the hype

We’re paying way more money for way less options, and I’m not happy about it.

Once rumors started circulating early last spring of the SAC’s new upgrade, all I heard was “Chick-fil-a, Chick-fil-a, Chick-fil-a.” Apparently, Chick-fil-a is a big deal in college and I guess I’d been missing out. Amongst all the hype, I couldn’t help but be thrilled. Change is good, new is exciting.

So I thought.

I didn’t realize that gaining an over-priced, underwhelmingly average Chick-fil-a meant losing the one thing I held close to me―Einstein’s.

I have a lot of problems with the new and “improved” SAC, but I need to start where it hurts the most; every day of my freshmen year, I counted on my iced frozen mocha and everything bagel toasted with cream cheese from Einstein’s. It sounds dramatic, but breakfast is the most important meal of the day and having a near full week of 8am's, it was pretty awesome to be able to Tapingo my regular Einstein’s order when I first woke up and to grab it on the way to class. With just a meal swipe, I was on my way.

I understand that this is a pretty extreme first-world problem, but any added convenience as a college student makes an incredible difference in the course of your day. I appreciated the expediency of having an easy breakfast ready to go when I needed it. Also, Einstein’s bagels were banging so honestly, I’m just salty.

It’s not just the fact that I’ve been deprived of my beloved Einstein’s, that’s not my only issue with the new SAC―the new food options are ridiculously overpriced, at least if you’re trying to use a meal swipe.

Another added convenience of the SAC last year was being able to have a pretty decent amount of food from a variety of vendors for just an $8.49 meal swipe. Granted, the meal swipe equivalency was bumped up to a whopping $8.69 this year, however every time I’ve eaten at the new SAC, I’ve had to use a meal swipe plus diamond dollars to cover the total cost of my little meal. My first experience with the Chick-fil-a, I got their grilled chicken nuggets, fries and a water (which is free) and I spent nearly $10.00. That’s extremely uneconomical for someone who can actually afford it, but for a college student that is a total rip off.

Not only am I paying more for the food I’m getting at the SAC, but I’m also getting way less. The chains are over-priced, and the added bonus of having additional “grab and go” options like sushi, fruits, pastries, cereal, chips and granola bars has been removed. You’re now forced to wait in line to eat at one of the chains, or find another option on campus for your meal.

Chick-fil-a is not the only over-priced chain now settled in the SAC; Burger Fi, Saladworks and Twisted Taco are all pretty steep for a college student’s budget. On top of having to wait at least 30 minutes to have your order taken, the new SAC is just not worth the hype.

I’m not writing this article to completely dissuade people from eating at the SAC because honestly, I know tons of people are really excited about all the new options and the modernization of one of Temple’s most iconic buildings. I’m just saying I was hoping for more affordable options with the SAC’s upgrade… and we need Einstein’s back. That’s all I’m saying.

Temple University