My experience at the 2017 New York Fashion Week

Is it all that people make it out to be?

During New York's most fashionable week, I was fortunate to attend New York Fashion Week for two days and it was everything you could imagine and much more.

Although, I didn't get to see Rihanna's show or a glimpse of Cardi B, I was able to attend other memorable shows.

This was my first trip to NYFW since it was part of my internship, and I wish I could relive it all over again.

If you're wondering how it was like to attend a few days of this iconic week, here's some things I saw and learned from NYFW.

DAY 1

Backstage at Sachin + Babi

I went backstage to interview the lead manicurist, Geraldine Holford, for this show and she was delightful. The models' nails were all painted in concrete looking nail color to give off a Lou Lou de la Falaise vibe with inspiration from the Grand Bazaar Markets of Istanbul.

Indonesian Diversity Runway Show

This show was cool because the clothes presented were of Indonesian background, but were modeled by women of all skin types and races.

SUPIMA Design Competition

This show was just phenomenal. The styles were somewhat avant-garde but wearable in everyday settings. It was design competition for fashion design students who were chosen by their respective colleges. All clothes modeled were made from 100% cotton and the winner, Leila Thompson of Drexel University, was awarded $10,000.00

DAY 2

The second day, I went with my friend and it was a day filled with drinks and good food. The shows were also incredible and the experience was absolutely worth me coming home at 2 AM in the early morning.

Thrill X Judgement of Paris NYFW

Male and female models showed off avant-garde clothing. The line consisted of only black and white articles of clothing with funky designs.

McDuggal Art Hearts Fashion NYFW

McDuggal is a male fashion designer who design beautiful formal event dresses. His elegant works were paraded around the runway from simple to complex designs.

I especially liked this show because of the diversity in body types that were displayed. There was female empowerment all throughout the show with lots of cheering and encouragement to some the models as they strut down the runway, almost falling.

NYFW Art Hearts Fashion NYFW

This show entailed a series of designers and their works presented in one show. One featured show and probably the highlight of this event was the designer, Anthony Rubin, who carries matching clothing for dogs and their owners.

Question is…Would I return? Yes, yes I would in a heartbeat.

I was only able to go to NYFW because it was free and if given the opportunity to go again for free than staying in my house like the hermit that I am―I would go without question.

It was also great to meet new people, designers and make new connections. However, if you're not up for traveling all over NYC, it's probably not for you.

It is all that it's hyped up to be and you'll probably see me covering NYFW in the near future.

Temple University