Campus Curlz is coming to Temple

Everything you need to know about Temple’s newest club

Some young women today are told that our natural curly hair is "distracting" at our job and if you're a young girl growing up with the same Barbie dolls all your life―you begin to create a definition of what beautiful is.

That's where Campus Curlz comes along. Temple's newest club is here to promote loving your hair and embracing our beautiful selves.

Campus Curlz was founded at Hampton University in Virginia and was brought to Temple by sophomore Media and Production student, India Green.

The Tab spoke with Campus Curlz Temple Ambassador, India, to learn more about the organization, and her inspiration for starting it at Temple.

India says that the main focus of the organization is to educate people about their natural hair and start to accept it.

"Basically what we'll be doing is hosting events, seminars and different activities that will educate campus students about natural hair, different hair types, and ways to take care of their hair. While doing this we are promoting and encouraging self love to all naturals, non-naturals, transitioners, those who are considering returning Natural, and even those who are just anxious to learn and be apart." she says.

India describes the organization as a "huge support group for current naturals, those who are transitioning, or those who are considering, and even someone who just wants to learn and be a part."

"We will host meetings, seminars and other service oriented events with the intent to make both women and men comfortable with their natural hair."

Issa lifestyle ✨I love l love alot about my hair!

A post shared by India✨ (@_naturallyindy_) on

India was inspired to bring Campus Curlz to Temple for a few reasons.

She has her own Instagram page, @_naturallyindy_, in which she posts hair tips, healthy hair choices, as well as skin care routines. She started this page after falling in love with her own natural hair.

India embracing your beautiful, natural hair.

"I love my hair and I love how healthy it's become. It's given me a boost of confidence and I realized that I want to help others come to that realization as well."

Also, during her second semester of freshman year, she had to a project for her media and technology course that was focused on natural hair.

India is excited about promoting the organization around campus and hosting events with all students with any kind of hair, or level of hair acceptance.

You could follow the organization on Twitter at @campuscurlzTU for more information and meeting updates throughout the year!

Temple University