Listen up, freshmen: Upperclassmen share the advice they wish they had been given

‘Donate plasma so you can buy a case of natty light every week’

There’s no denying we were once clueless, hopeful freshmen starting our first semester at Temple University.

While most of us had to learn everything the hard way, the class of 2021 could learn some valuable lessons from their fellow upperclassmen or at least know what we would tell our freshman selves.

The Tab Temple asked current and former college students what advice they would tell their freshman selves. This is what they had to say:

Yasmine Hamou

“Live it up…. in moderation and explore all of your options―you never know what trade or subject you may fall in love with.”

David Ferreira

“Bring bigger clothes, you’re going to need it for the Freshmen 15.”

Kevin Nguyen

“Donate plasma so you can buy a case of natty light every week”

It pays to #donateplasma at @bpositiveplasma! #getpaid #savelives #allbloodtypes #cherryhill #collegepark #glassboro #bloodplasma #liquidgold

A post shared by B Positive Plasma (@bpositiveplasma) on Mar 24, 2017 at 11:29am PDT

Tyrell Mann-Barnes

“It’s okay to not always have the answers …you don’t have to be perfect.” 

Jacqui Fricke

“Always stick to who you are and what you feel comfortable with. Don’t let college or people change you. Stay you despite the circumstances. But explore, have fun, go on adventures, and work really hard. At the end of the day you’re here for a degree and life―long friends, not other things.”

Sarah Kim

“You’re never gonna have more free time than in your freshman year. Apply for internships even if you think you’re not qualified. Join clubs!”

Thank you to everyone who stopped by our table at Owl Promise yesterday! DM us if you're interested in joining or want to be added to our list serve! Our next GA is Wednesday at 5:30pm in the IDEAL office.

A post shared by S.A.A.S.A at Temple (@saasa_temple) on Feb 3, 2017 at 10:57am PST

Caroline Phinney

“The classes you take this year actually matter so don’t fuck up. All of the shots will kick in eventually….just wait and avoid Rubinoff.”

Amanda Ross

“GO TO CLASS. My academic probation was not fun.”

Isabel Sefton

“Don’t have sex with anyone on your floor.”

Amelia Colon

“You’re too young and you will mature and change within the next 2-3 years. Your current aspirations are just a phase and part of the journey.”

Ashton Adams

“Choose friends wisely! A positive and motivated friend group will motivate you in every aspect.”

Alyssa Mancuso and Isabel Sefton

Taylor Allen

“You don’t really HAVE to do anything. Not everything or everyone is worthy of your time.”

Nydja Hood

“You don’t have to have everything figured out yet. Do things you love, even if it’s irrelevant to your major, you may surprise yourself!”

Elena Alvarez

“STAY AWAY FROM FRAT GUYS!”

Kayla Hernandez

“It’s okay to not to know yourself yet. You do not need to know what career you want or what major to declare. Learn who you are and what you want and do not let anyone negative influence that. Also, girls will be bitches too.”

Sammie Carl

“I’d definitely tell myself it’s okay to change! Whether it’s changing your style, your major as many times as your heart desires or changing the people you surround yourself with. It’s all okay as long as you’re happy.”

Sammie Carl

Steph Horwath

“You don’t have to follow one path. I was dead set on my career path and the major I came to Temple with but it was making me miserable. I thought my family would hate me for wanting to switch majors even after I talked about wanting to go into medicine for almost all of high school. I sat them down and talked to them about how unhappy I was and honestly it took so much for me to accept that I picked the wrong major but I am way happier now (as a junior) but I definitely don’t regret making such a huge change!”

Kelsi Smith

“Do not worry about picking a major and take classes that are out of your comfort zone! That’s how I figured out what I wanted to do. And also not to listen to people’s judgements about certain majors either and do what you actually want to do and work hard at it. Also join clubs and organizations on campus! The best thing I did was getting involved it helps build your resume and meet cool people that like the same stuff as you.”

As for myself? I would say that adjusting to Temple will take a long time but you will eventually meet a group of friends who will make college memorable and worth the thousands of dollars of tuition. You will not transfer from Temple because this is the school you love. As much as you want to be involved with every organization, do not forget that your academics are also important.

Temple University