Everything you need to know about the Philly pride events happening this weekend

Don’t miss out on their biggest celebration to date

June is a special time of the year for the LGBTQ+ community—Pride Month.

Across the country, there will be hundreds of celebrations to honor the occasion, and a few of them will happen right here in the City of Brotherly Love.

So whether you are part of the LGBTQ+ community or are an ally, here are a list of things to do this weekend to celebrate pride in Philadelphia.

Pride Weekend Kickoff Block Party

Friday, June 16 | 6:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
12th and Locust Street

Happening right in city’s Gayborhood is the block party, where there will be food, drinks, and other fun events. Attendees can also purchase discounted wristbands for Sunday’s Pride Festival.

William Way LGBT Community Center Homecoming 2017

Saturday, June 17 | 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

William Way LGBT Community Center, 1315 Spruce Street

The William Way LGBT Community Center is a nonprofit organization that serves the LGBT community. This year marks the 40th year the center has been helping the community, and to celebrate, there will be a homecoming brunch at the center called “Rise!”

There will be live entertainment, a buffet brunch, bloodies and mimosas, and a silent auction. The dress code for the event is casual/festive. Tickets can be purchased online. If there are any remaining tickets left, they will be sold at the door starting at 10:45 am on Saturday.

Philly Pride Run

Sunday, June 18 | 11:00 a.m.
Camac and Locust Street to Penn’s Landing

To celebrate Pride Day on Sunday, June 18th is the annual Philly Pride run, which is a 1.5 mile run from Camac and Locust Street to Penn’s Landing. Runners will pass through some of Philadelphia’s most iconic locations, including the Liberty Bell, Independence Mall, and of course, the Gayborhood. If you would like to participate, you can register online.

The Pride Run on June 18 is being produced in collaboration with the organizers of the Philadelphia Pride Parade & Festival. This nonprofit group is known as Philly Pride Presents @phillypridepresents . The first Pride Parade ?️‍? in Philadelphia was organized in an impromptu fashion at the end of the 1980s and was intended to coincide with rally planned by the Lesbian and Gay Task Force at Love Park. It was so successful that community members met and started an organization (Lesbian & Gay Pride of the Delaware Valley, Inc.) whose goal was to produce a parade and festival at Penn’s Landing each year to continue the community outreach and visibility that was achieved with that one rally. That organization evolved into what we know today as Philly Pride Presents. And that first rally grew into the largest celebration of LGBT pride in the region, now attracting over 25,000 people each year. Source: Philly Pride Presents website. #priderunphilly #pridepresents

A post shared by Pride Run (@priderunphilly) on

Philadelphia Pride Parade

Sunday, June 18 | 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
13th and Locust to Penn’s Landing

The Philly Pride Parade begins at 11:30 a.m. at 13th and Locust in the center of the Gayborhood, and will go through Center City, all the way to Penn’s Landing. The parade should reach the Pride Festival location at around 1:00 pm.

Philly Pride Festival

Sunday, June 18 | 12:00 p.m. — 6:00 p.m.
Great Plaza, Penn’s Landing, Chestnut Street and South Columbus Boulevard

The gates to the festival open at noon at the Great Plaza at Penn’s Landing. The Festival is an annual celebration that lasts for six hours with over a hundred vendors, live entertainment, and food. Admission is $15.

According to the official website, buying wristbands the day of the festival can get pretty hectic. They recommend purchasing your wristbands at the south entrance next to the Seaport Museum, or from the volunteers who will be at the parade. You can also purchase wristbands ahead of time at Friday’s block party, as stated above.

Some of the money raised from the wristbands will go towards Outfest, which will happen in October.

To find out more information, and to see a map outlining the locations to the events, visit the Philly Pride website.

@michmendezmedia

Temple University