Temple gen ed courses that won’t be a waste of time

Classes you will actually want to attend

“This is such a waste of time.”

“How is this going to help my career?”

“I just want to finish my major.”

The everyday thought of a student fulfilling their gen ed requirements.

The life of a college student is filled with creating unforgettable memories and the overwhelming fear of life after school.

With little to no time to even figure out what we want to eat for dinner, the thought of adding gen ed courses on top of our major courses seems wasteful.

Sure, they can be great GPA boosters that may even teach us a thing or two about life, but that all depends on choosing the right course.

Thankfully, Temple offers some out of the box classes that will redefine your idea of an elective. We’ve compiled some of the most wildly interesting classes that will make you want to wake up for your 8 am.

1. Disasters: Geology vs. Hollywood – Earth and Environmental Sciences 0836

The perfect class to fulfill 1 of 2 of your science and technology requirements (especially if you are a non-science major). This course dives into the idea of Hollywood disasters and their possibility of actually happening in real life. Should we anticipate an asteroid the size of Texas ending us all as seen in Armageddon or should we actually be preparing for The Day After Tomorrow and go against Donald Trump’s theory on climate change? Geology vs. Hollywood answers all the important questions. Almost every section has a waiting list for Fall 2017.

2. Chemistry of Wine – Chemistry 0821

As it is still a chemistry class, it may be one of the tougher options to fulfil your science and gen ed requirement. If you ever wondered what goes into creating that box of Franzia you downed last weekend, this is the course for you. It examines the differences between your everyday cheap wine and a $2,000 bottle. Every wine enthusiast should consider this course. Before you get your hopes up though, wine tasting is not included on the syllabus.

3. Tupac Shakur and the Hip Hop Revolution – Africology and African American Studies 2111

Tupac Shakur is known as one of the most influential people in Hip Hop history, it’s no wonder Temple would have an entire course dedicated to sharing his beliefs and inspirations to the next generation. Professor Aaron X. Smith, the professor/rapper devoted to keeping Tupac’s legacy alive, is known as “the rapping professor.” If a class that educates solely on the influence of a controversial rapper isn’t cool enough, keep in mind that the professor teaching the course made an appearance of Nick Cannon’s WildNOut.

4. Criminal Behavior – Criminal Justice 0812

What better way to fulfill your Human Behavior requirement than to live out a real life episode of Criminal Minds? From ignoring the speed limit to jay walking, every single one of us has committed a crime. This course helps us figure out the psychology behind making the decision to commit much harsher crimes. It’s basically Law and Order in the classroom.

5. American Sign Language – Communication Sciences and Disorders 1001

With all your elective room, why not learn another language (and learn some pretty valuable life lessons/skills while you’re at it.) If you have never been exposed to Deaf culture, this course will open your eyes to the real struggles of living in a hearing world and create a new appreciation for the culture. You could quite possibly walk away fluent in ASL.

6. Michael Jackson: Entertainer, Artist, Celebrity – Dance 1821

At a school known for its diverse student population, teaching its students on the influence of Michael Jackson just seems right. This class dives into Michael Jackson and why he was such a cultural phenomenon, looking at entertainment history, media, pop culture, and the politics of race, gender, and sexuality in relations to the King of Pop.

7. Cosplay: Creating an Alter Ego – Art 2400

When asked what we wanted to be when we grew up, more often than not the answer was a superhero. Those dreams have since been tragically crushed but there is still hope. Learn how to create the perfect cosplay costume while being exposed to history and the endless possibilities of alter ego options.

8. The Sixties: The American Experience – History 1008

This course redefines what you know about the 1960’s. You may think of JFK, the Mustang, The Beatles, and Neil Armstrong when you think of the sixties. This course allows you to look past the hippies and the acid and look deeper into the struggles for social justice, counterculture, and even the Vietnam War.

Temple University