A transfer student’s guide to becoming an Owl at Temple University

Moving schools is just the first step

I just completed my junior year of college, but it felt like my freshman year all over again. I transferred to Temple University in the Fall of 2016 from the Community College of Philadelphia.

It was a scary and exciting all at the same time. I learned a lot. I mean a lot, more than I ever thought I would.

I am now officially a senior, and I want to make the most out of my last year because I have grown to love Temple.

So, here are few things I wish someone would have told myself before I transferred, because when you have a limited amount of time in one place, you need to make the most of it.

Don’t Feel Afraid to Explore our Campus

This is important because if you don’t explore the campus and the surrounding area, you’ll spend your first day of classes being lost. I did this before my first day of classes and it really helped ease my anxiety. Transferring is a massive change especially if it is from a small campus to a huge campus such as Temple. So, take advantage of any time you have before the semester starts and explore. Plus, you’ll probably find a cool spot to eat or secret place to study.

Get Involved

If I could only give one piece of advice to a fellow transfer student it would be to get involved. It took me over a month to finally join an organization after transferring. I was extremely lonely and scared when I first transferred but getting involved on campus turned everything around for me. If I could start the year over I would have immediately joined the many organizations, I was interested in. After working up the courage I finally joined “OwlSports Update” which is a live television show that is run by students and covers all things Temple Athletics. I am now the head social media coordinator and have gained a supportive group of friends. Trust me, join that club because you’ll gain more knowledge outside of the classroom than in it and you’ll gain some friends along the way.

Get the Inside Scoop

I don’t know if this true for every college but at Temple, there are secret code names for almost every building. I wish that someone would have let me know this before starting. For the first couple months I just had to pretend I knew what people we’re talking about when they said they were eating at the “SAC” which now I know is the student center. If you know anyone that attends the college your transferring to just straight up ask them for the inside scoop on everything because you’ll probably be surprised.

You’ll Catch Up

The feeling I can remember the most about my first semester after transferring is being behind. I felt so behind compared to the other juniors or even sophomores that I was surrounded by. The only students that I could truly relate to was freshman but the problem was I was a junior. I was pretty hard on myself during the first couple months and kept comparing myself to my fellow classmates. Don’t do this. I promise you will catch up. I have joined two organizations, made the dean’s list, won an award from my school, and received a scholarship in one short year. I am not listing those accomplishments to brag but to show any transfer student out there that you will catch up and if you work hard enough you’ll even surpass those students that have been there since their freshman year.

Enjoy Your Time

Your first year after transferring will be really scary and stressful at times but don’t forget to stop and enjoy the moment, because it will fly by. Take the time to go to that football game or that Thursday night party because it’s going to be over before you know it. Of course I wish I had gone to Temple as a freshman but sometimes life gets in the way. If you’re in the same position as I was just really soak in the time you have at your dream school wherever it may be and make the most of your limited time instead of dwelling on your past college experience.

Despite this being one of the most stressful years of my young life thus far, I am so happy I decide to take the leap and transfer. I am excited for what my last year at Temple will bring. Good luck to all those fellow transfer students who will be stepping onto a new campus in the Fall. You’re not alone and everything is going to be okay!

Temple University