Temple students campaign for ‘racially fueled’ painting hanging in Anderson Hall be taken down

‘Being Black does not make the expression less offensive’

A painting conveying racist undertones and stigmas was put up in Anderson Hall two weeks ago. The painting called “The Demonization of Black Girls and Women” was done by New York artist Jennifer Cruté, who according to the description, attempts to dissect stereotypes of Black women.

Since the painting was put up, many Temple students and administrators have expressed that they find the painting offensive.

Zemirah Moffett, a Sophomore Africology and African-American Studies major at Temple University tweeted the urgency for all students to be aware the painting on April 24th.

The Tab Temple reached out to Zemirah to ask about her reasoning of bringing awareness to the painting.

“Students of this school should know about this. The painting is very disrespectful because of the history behind black face, the ‘mammy’ cartoon face that is displayed on the young black girl, the watermelon–it’s all racial fueled. This is supposed to be a diverse university and it’s located in a predominantly black neighborhood and this type of thing just cannot be tolerated,” she said.

Zemirah told The Tab Temple it was the African American Studies Department who brought this to her attention and other students in her class. She was informed about the painting in her Tupac & Hip Hop Revolution class with Professor Smith.

“Students were allowed to sign a petition if they chose to do so, the department has written letters to administration and the painting was still up, so I decided to take it to Twitter allowing more students who may not take classes within the department of African American studies to see the racism that is being displayed on the walls of Temple University.”

Several students expressed their disapproval on Twitter and even alumni had commented on the painting as well.

In an interview with Bitch Magazine in 2012, artist Jennifer Cruté said, “You have to put a jester hat on any oppressor–be that oppressor a person, a group, or your own mind. I feel that the skills of dark humor is something that is innate in most cartoonists/artists that had to or have to deal with the oppression of racism, prejudice, sexism, homophobia, etc. etc. This skill helps me to draw a funny image with a message that may disturb, but will mostly certainly inform and hopefully educate.”

The Tab Temple reached out to the artist but has yet to be contacted back.

In a statement issued by the leadership from the Department of Africology and African American Studies, Dr. Molefi Kete Asante and Dr. Ama Mazama, expressed:

“The negative image without context is just not acceptable; in fact, without some discussion of subconscious white supremacy and bias it will always be seen as a attack on African people.”

The Tab Temple spoke to Professor Smith in regards to how Temple has responded to the initial concerns and efforts of getting the painting removed at Anderson Hall.

“Temple began to adjust by removing the quote “Who is the Tolstoy of the Zulus” (which can be found in the video of the tweet before it was removed) and related dialogues are also being planned,” he said.

Professor Smith also states that even though the creator of this painting is a Black woman, being Black does not make the expression less offensive.

He also states that the quote “Who is the Tolstoy of the Zulus?” hung up alongside the painting before it was removed from is an issue that needs to be discussed.

“The Chair of the Department of Africology, Molefi Kete Asante instructed me on the context of the quote, in the New York Times Book Review interview Saul Bellow was asked his opinions of multiculturalism in 1994. His response was telling and truly ignorant, but he was always against the idea of diversity. It cannot be gainsaid. He asked the reporter: Saul Bellow was perpetuating the false narrative of Africans being a people who existed on the periphery of History. This lie is pushed despite the facts that Africans gave the world civilization, science, math, writing, arts and spirituality before any other people on the planet.”

Professor Smith also told The Tab Temple that members of the Department and many other students believe that the adjustment of the quote is not acceptable and they will not be satisfied until the painting is removed.

The Tab Temple contacted Activate TU of this issue, to which Tyrell-Mann Barnes informed us that they have already taken action by speaking to the Dean of CLA.

Tyrell states the painting will be removed by today or by Friday at the latest.

Temple University