Temple students react to this year’s Owlchella performers

‘Flo Rida is alive?’

Temple never cease to amaze its students with its ability to give us the best and brightest opportunities. Sure, it provides an excellent education and a solid foundation for our futures, we can’t argue that.

But what did we do to deserve this Temple? Please, we are begging.

While Temple MCPB is not to blame, and their hard work does not go unnoticed, we can’t help but feel a slight sense of disappointment when we discovered this year’s lineup.

The wait is finally over? We’re still trying to figure out who was waiting for this.

Saint John’s University recently announced Mac Miller will be headlining their spring concert.

We just don’t understand how you could let this happen to us.

Sophomore journalism major, Gail Vivar had her own thoughts on the news.

“Although “Low” is a classic song for many of us, I’m not even thinking twice of going. My friends and I know it’s pretty cheap to go but we don’t want to go. I just think there should have been a survey for students to fill out with our favorite artists rather than picking an artist that none of us like or care about.”

Sophomore strategic communications student Jordana Artiachi brought up a good, sarcastic point when asked her opinion.

“Last year we had Fetty Wap and Logic, come on Temple! I saw DNCE in concert before and they didn’t even play Year 3000.”

We feel you, girl.

After last year’s panic over Fetty Wap’s motorcycle accident days before the homecoming concert, we’re not sure we can take anymore.

Freshmen occupational therapy major Liz Fabri had an ironic take on this year’s line up.

“I’m confused why Temple decided to dig through our middle school tweets to pick this years line up for Owlchella.”

But we are not alone. We have spoke to a few Temple students who were not shy when it came to voicing their opinion on Twitter after the announcement.

The owner of one of the most popular tweets we found, Herukhuti Dorman, a sophomore biology major, had a pretty common response to Owlchella.

“Temple’s student run events are usually well organized and while the titles are cheesy, the actual content is good. However, Owlchella 2017 has a tone deaf roster. For me personally, the only person I recognize on the flyer is Flo Rida and he stopped putting out music I listened to by the end of middle school.”

We spoke with sophomore computer science major Jeremy Katz, featured above, about what he thinks about the lineup.

“I think the lineup is awful. Flo Rida has maybe two known songs that are at least a few years old already. The other performers aren’t interesting. Anyone who is into music would agree. Last year, we had Fetty Wap who was pretty big at the time. There was also Logic and French Montana, all big names who people actually listen to.”

We agree, Jeremy, we agree.

“Even if they couldn’t afford the big names people actually listen to, there’s tons of smaller rappers and bands that everyone would be more interested in, rather than one member of the Jonas brothers and a guy that was on The Voice but didn’t make it to the finals. They only choose him because he’s from Pennsbury, PA.”

Jaspal Singh Brar, a Criminal Justice major, shouting out the class of 2010, was also disappointed with the line up.

“I just think that students are disappointed with this lineup. Going from a Homecoming that was postponed that featured Logic, Fetty Wap, Wale, and French Montana to Flo Rida is really disappointing. I don’t even know the other performers. It’s not like Temple is a small school either. I went to Shippensburg University before I transferred here — which is probably a school a lot of people don’t know of — and they had people like Big Sean, Ludacris, and MGK all perform there.”

Brar also emphasized that although he is disappointed in the lineup, he has nothing against the students that worked very hard to put this together — something we can all agree on. Temple MCPB, we are sorry you have to deal with this all of this hate and negativity. You all work very hard all year round, just understand where we are coming from.

“The last time I bumped into Flo Rida I was at my middle school dance (Apple Bottom Jeans was catchy as hell though).” Brar added.

We couldn’t let all of these amazing responses go unnoticed. We’ve complied some of the best responses to Owlchella 2017.

Temple University