Temple student starts a GoFundMe after her home was burned down last Saturday

She’s asking the Temple community to help her family who’s home is a 6 minute drive from the University

When a Temple student is need of help from our community, we will always be there for our very own.

Temple student Aiyana Amariah Mobley, a senior Psychology major and an anthropology minor, made a GoFundme page after her home was burned down this past Saturday, February 11th.

The Tab spoke exclusively to Aiyana about what occurred last Saturday and what Temple students could do to help her and her family.

Could you tell you us what happened to your home?

“My younger brother and sister were home with their two friends on Saturday while my mom and I were at work. Around  2:30pm, my sister noticed the smell of smoke and when she came out of her room to ask my brother if he smelled it too—big black clouds of smoke started to come up the stairs.

The four of them ran down the stairs to try and put the fire out, but it was beyond what they could handle. One of my brother’s friends almost got trapped in the fire and he has severe asthma so he collapsed and he couldn’t find his way out of the black smoke. Thankfully, my sister was able to get him out in time. So far, we believe it to be an electrical fire but we are still waiting for the fire department to get back to us of the exact cause of the fire.”

When did you start this GoFund me page?

“I started the GoFundMe page for my family on February 13th and so far, we have been receiving tremendous support for it being up only a day. My family and I are very grateful with the outcome so far.”

Aiyana Mobley (in red) and her family

What’s your message to Temple students of helping your family since your home is near to Temple University?

“Before the fire, I would always try to show my fellow classmates that the community surrounding us is a great one. I hope they take in the area our school is in as they have pride in Temple. After all, Temple has been thriving in North Philadelphia since its’ establishment.

North Philadelphia is Owl Country and it’s important for us students to want to give back to the community that welcomed us and the place that we call home. I just hope that the message of giving back to the community will inspire others to want to give back to us.”

What are you planning to do with the money raised and how is this affecting your family and yourself?

“With the money we raise we are hoping to put a down payment on a new home, buy new beds, clothes, shoes, blankets, anything really. We lost EVERYTHING to the fire and we just want somewhere to call home again. It has been a hassle for my brother, sister, and I to get to school because my family is currently bouncing between hotels.

My mother is a hard worker who works two jobs and sometimes 80 hours in a week. It has definitely been harder for her to get to work and it was a big loss to my family because our house was a safe haven for anyone who needed it. I have many friends, cousins, and other family members who have lived with us at some point because they were going through hard times or needed a place to stay.

So it has not only affected our daily lives and routines, but it has also affected the people who we have taken from time to time looking for a safe place to stay, or a place for food. My family and friends know we love them and we can only hope to get back on our feet quickly and help others in need once again.”

What type of reactions have you received so far from the community?

“So far, we have received so much love from everyone. I work at the College of Liberal Arts academic advising center and they have been a huge help, along with our family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, and even complete strangers. It really makes me so happy and brings tears to our eyes that we are receiving so much love and support from so many people.”

Some family members of hers in front of her old home for a celebration

To help Aiyana, donate to her GoFundMe page or email her at [email protected]

Temple University