Shit people say to film majors

No I’m not trying to be “the next Steven Spielberg”

If you’re a film student you’re automatically initiated into a very special club, which mostly is made up of blank stares from your judgmental family members or overachieving peers.

“Oh—you study film? That’s..uh really cool.” It’s not their fault really, maybe not everyone appreciates what you study. Matter of fact, who’s to say not every major has this happen to them at one point? Art history? Glass blowing? Everyone must have had that happen to them except probably law or nursing majors.

But like I said, film students have a certain common place. There’s just something about saying you study movies that causes people to have word diarrhea.

Here are some sh*tty things people say to film majors:

“So…you just watch movies in your classes?”

Yeah—no. Believe it or not, there’s a lot more to film-making than actually watching films. We still have exams, quizzes and homework to worry about (though some of that work may be a little different, like writing a TV pilot or designing a set for shoots).

Plus, when we do watch a movie in class it’s not always action-packed blockbusters. Have you ever sat through a 1930 French Noir experimental film for two and a half hours straight? Of course it exercises your skills in film analysis, but it also exercises your skill in staying awake.

“OMG! Can I be in your first movie?!”

Will you work for free? If so absolutely. A ten minute short film can easily take a few grand to make so if you’re willing to get paid in gratitude and a possible slice of pizza at the wrap party, consider yourself the main lead.

“Can I use your camera?!”

Oh—you mean that one I reserved from the equipment office that is about $2,000 that I am completely liable for and can be charged for if damaged in any possible way? Sure, just don’t mind me standing over your shoulder the entire time.

“What do you call that clipboard thing?”

A clapboard.

“What can you even do with film?”

A lot! Temple’s FMA program has a ton of opportunities for film students, like the Los Angeles Study Away Program that sets you up with your own internship in film, TV, talent, PR or with a music company. The Venice Abroad Program also gives film students international experience in the field.

Besides that, Temple offers BFA programs available for undergraduates in directing, media arts and screenwriting. There’s a lot of places you can go with an FMA degree, just look at the Alumni News Bulletin on the TFMA website.

“Do you have a back-up plan?”

I think going into something with the expectation that you might fail is rational, but not practical for a person who’s in the arts. I mean you can ask me—a current employee at a department shoe store—whether film is going to be my source of income for the rest of my life. Truth is, I don’t know. You could also ask my friend who works in a local diner who is studying accounting the same question, and again the truth is you just don’t know.

Part of studying films—besides analyzing and writing about them­—is being crazy enough to believe you can actually make them. And if you know any crazy people, they’re not really known for their “back-up plans.”

So whether you’re behind the camera, in front of it or not even close to a camera, your major comes with a lot of assumptions against it. But if it’s what you love to do, all of those assumptions eventually start to sound like just some shit people say.

Temple University