Why giving Deadpool a boyfriend is a huge step for LGBTQ representation

Ryan Reynolds is for it and so are we

In a recent interview for Variety, Deadpool actor Ryan Reynolds discussed the character’s pansexuality and the possibility of giving the hero a boyfriend.

A gay relationship on the big screen may seem like something small, but for some—it would mean the world to see LGBTQ representation in blockbuster films.

Deadpool’s writer Gerry Dugan first confirmed the character’s pansexuality in 2013 via Twitter. Afterwards, the character’s co-creator Fabian Nicieza tweeted that Deadpool’s “brain cells are in CONSTANT FLUX. He can be gay one minute, hetero the next, etc. ALL ARE VALID.”

GLAAD Media reported the majority of LGBT characters in films from the seven biggest studios in 2015 were minor characters who had little screen time and dialogue. Out of 22 movies that included LGBT characters, 73% had less than ten minutes of time on screen.

If Deadpool was given a boyfriend, it would be huge step towards LGBT representation in superhero movies since the movie made over $700 million in the box office, despite having a smaller budget than other superhero movies.

If you take a look at other Marvel films, all the leading actors are straight and white males in relationships with women.

Iron Man/Tony Stark is shown with Pepper Potts, Thor with Jane Foster, Captain America/Steve Rogers with Peggy Carter and Sharon Carter.

It’s time to break the norms in these blockbuster films where we always see the same romance scene, over and over again.

We asked Temple students what they thought about a superhero like Deadpool changing the superhero game.

Sahiti Bonam, a Sophomore Visual Studies major, says, “I’ve heard that Deadpool is pansexual via the comics, so I think it would be really nice that the movie industry will make a main character a non-heterosexual person, which makes the audience accept and normalize our perception of the LGBTQ community.”

Emma Silverstone, a sophomore Communication Studies major says it would be great to finally see the representation on the big screen.

“I think it’s a great concept, especially if the writers confirmed it. I don’t think there’s enough representation in movies or television. I don’t identify as part of the LGBT+ community so I’m not sure I have enough knowledge about it, but I definitely don’t see enough characters in television or movies that are LGBT+. Personally, I hope they give him a boyfriend in the sequel.”

Lawrence Scales, a sophomore Bachelor of Fine Arts major who has read some of the Deadpool comics said it would also be the right direction for the film.

I think it’d be great. He’s never dated a guy in the comics but is attracted to them, they could bring up an old fling or have him flirt etc. with someone like Wolverine or Cable.” Lawrence adds, “I don’t know if he’s still dating Death but he was dating her (the actual grim reaper) for awhile. They took a stab at gender roles with that one that was funny as hell.”

Rhett Reese, a screenwriter for the film, says the team behind the first Deadpool film wanted to honor the comic book character’s sexuality by showing it in “subtle ways” in the movie, according to Variety. They did that when Deadpool suggests that he is open to sexual experimentation with Wolverine.

“What love is to Deadpool may not be what love is to Batman or someone else,” says Ryan Reynolds.

He adds, “I love that he can break any boundary. In the future, I hope we get to do that more.”

We hope so too.

@michmendezmedia

Temple University Hide Images