What overthinking does to you

Overthinking can take a toll on your mind and body. Here’s how it affects you, and how you can avoid it.

“Breathe, it’s not as bad as you think.” 

You tell yourself this multiple times while trying to catch your breath and maintain a relaxed status. If you’re in public, then you find yourself struggling more. As your eyes gaze upon the crowd around you, your brain convinces you these people have it together and they’re looking down at you. Negative thoughts cloud your mind and you feel yourself mentally being dragged from these thoughts.

Dramatization? Exaggeration? No. This is the (sometimes daily) thought process of someone who battles with their inner head.

Everyone overthinks but not everyone has control over the draining thoughts. Many people aren’t fully aware of what it does to your body physically and mentally.

It drains you

Overthinking is such a toxic habit to have. It physically wears you out makes it easier for you to reach a low point. You could be full of energy and ready for whatever today holds but if overthinking takes over, you wind up feeling lethargic and sad. You suddenly don’t have a desire to do what you were expected, instead your toxic thoughts eat at you and then take control of your emotions.

unnamed-2

It’s the root of your problems

When you overthink too much, you let those thoughts become your reality. You start to look at life more negatively and blame yourself for constant actions. From that, your anxiety then convinces you to create problems that weren’t even there in the first place. It’s almost like having a shadow lingering around you that whispers negative things in your ear all day.

It makes you constantly question yourself

If you’re already someone who battles with your insecurities, overthinking becomes icing on the unwanted cake. You point out your flaws more often, and sometimes there’s only so much of that people can take. Some will distance themselves or avoid you because they can’t handle the crippling sadness that comes with it. When people leave or aren’t available as much, that makes you reflect on yourself poorly even more.

It stops you from living

Suddenly all the things you desired or had an interest in get put on hold. You let your fear and sadness stop you from going out and experiencing new things.

unnamed

That’s why it’s important to break down what truly makes you feel low and try to come up with ways to kill those thoughts. Depending on the situation and how often you overthink, there are a number of different ways to handle this.

Fortunately, there are steps to take — relaxation techniques (yoga, hot yoga, meditation), meeting with a professional, etc. — that can be very beneficial. There are a lot of people who have been able to break free from the grip of their own head, but it does take time. The thought of not being able to be consumed by these thoughts is so exciting, yet scary at the same time. Your overthinking will try to convince you that you will fail, and that you will continue on with the path of negativity and fear, but it is possible to defeat your toxic thoughts. With the help of friends, family, and professionals, you can slowly but surely maintain a balanced thought process.

Temple University