Katie McGinty visited Temple’s campus today

Temple is clearly a hot spot for democratic candidates to appeal to young voters

Katie Mcginty, the democratic candidate in Pennsylvania’s Senate election, stopped by the Bell Tower this morning to meet Temple students.

With only days left in the election, Mcginty, who has never held an elected office, is locked in a tight race against incumbent Senator Pat Toomey.

Katie Mcginty’s platform includes creating new jobs, investing in quality education and protecting the environment. She is also a prominent advocate of women’s rights and LGBTQ+ equality, focusing particularly on minimizing the wage gap and making sure no one is denied rights based on gender identity or sexual orientation.

If re-elected, Senator Pat Toomey hopes to continue to secure jobs, protect families and children and help veterans with their transitions back to civilian life. He firmly stands by second amendment rights, law enforcement and pushes to control federal spending.

Temple sophomore tourism and hospitality management major Kelly Ann Young was advocating for young voters to place their trust in Katie McGinty:

“She represents everything that a woman should be. We’ve seen everything that Pat Toomey did for Philadelphia and we definitely need a positive change.”

Katie said it’s imperative that college students go out and vote on November 8th.

“If you care about climate change and important issues affecting students, I hope you all go out and vote.”

Temple University is also encouraging students to vote November 8th, even offering shuttles to polling locations. 

Based on visits from politicians this year alone, Temple is clearly a hot spot for democratic candidates to appeal to young voters.

Temple University