While rallying in Philadelphia, Michelle Obama urges against voting third party

‘We need adults in the White House’

Ralliers piled into La Salle University’s Tom Gola Arena on Wednesday, September 28, eager to hear Michelle Obama discuss some of the hottest topics in regards to Hillary Clinton’s campaign, hoping not only to be inspired, but also to maybe snag a photo with America’s mom.

The rally included speakers Senator Art Haywood, State Representative Dwight Evans, Senator Cindy Bass and Senate candidate Katie McGinty. All discussed the importance of the millennial vote in this election and the necessity of a heightened voter-turnout, especially in Pennsylvania. They emphasized our state’s importance as a swing state, where every vote makes a difference.

Audience members cheered with praise and admiration as Bass took the stage. He kept things real, speaking with the audience on a more relatable level in regards to the possibility of a Donald Trump presidency.

“There is no place to go then forward,” she said. “I don’t know about y’all, but going backwards doesn’t look so good for me. I’m turning it up, I’m turning it all the way up!”

As the clock approached Michelle’s scheduled speaking time of 12 o’clock p.m., hundreds of sleepy but excited supporters eagerly anticipated her introduction.

Chris Shoemaker traveled from northern New Jersey after an eight hour shift just to see Michelle speak:

“I’ve been camping out since one o’clock this morning. I mean, how often do you get the chance to meet the First Lady?”

Shoemaker continued to comment on the importance of Hillary’s winning the election in November:

“She is advocating for people like me, the working-class citizen. She’s for people who are struggling, living paycheck to paycheck, who want to build a better life but aren’t necessarily able to,” Shoemaker argued.

“We need someone like her to combat politicians who don’t see the importance of creating a more livable minimum wage or fighting for universal healthcare. Simple things like that make a big difference.”

Matthew Fischetti, a faculty member at La Salle who was able to reassign his classes for the day to give himself and his students the opportunity to see Michelle speak, believes her message will be widely received and effective.

“If people trust Michelle, and if Michelle trusts Hillary, then why not trust Hillary?” he questioned.

The arena roared as Michelle finally took the stage, holding her hands to her heart for the grand applause. She began her speech talking about the bittersweet feeling of leaving the White House, joking, “This is a time of great transition for my family. Even for Bo and Sunny. My husband’s gotta find a new job, I’ve gotta find a new job, we’ve gotta find a new house.”

Michelle also talked about the importance of understanding the difficulty of being the president of the United States and the qualifications required to do the job.

“It’s the most high-stakes, 24/7 job you could possibly imagine. The issues that cross the president’s desk are never easy,” she said. “We need adults in the White House.”

One of her most impactful statements came after she listed many of the traits a president should not possess.

“The presidency doesn’t change who you are, it reveals who you are,” Michelle leveled.

Michelle continued to advocate for Hillary’s qualifications for the presidency, discussing her success as the Secretary of the State, her dedication to service, her understanding of the responsibilities required to work in the Oval Office and her commitment to bettering the nation.

“Trust me, Pennsylvania, experience matters. Preparation matters. Temperament matters, and Hillary is the real deal.”

The First Lady ended her speech preaching the significance of not only the overall diversity in Hillary’s supporters, but also the importance of each individual vote.

“Each of you could swing an entire precinct just by getting yourself, your family, your classmates out to vote, because here’s the truth: either Hillary Clinton or her opponent will be elected president this year. If you vote for someone other than Hillary, or if you don’t vote at all, then you are helping elect Hillary’s opponent, and the stakes are far too high to take that chance.”

We hear you Michelle, and we’re ready to vote.

Temple University