Hillary Clinton appeals to millennials at Temple University

Yes, she mentioned Bernie Sanders

Hillary Clinton has already returned to Temple University after her recent rally in McGonigle Hall July 29th, right after officially receiving the Democratic Party’s nomination for President at the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia.

During the primaries Temple students were feeling the Bern, turning out in huge numbers (and decked out in buttons and other Bernie merchandise) for his rally here. In a much more low key event compared Bernie’s and to her last visit in July, Clinton holed in on millennial vote today.

Megan Platt, a sophomore at Temple, said there was confusion among students waiting to enter Mitten Hall when some of them were redirected to an overflow room where they would have to watch Hillary speak from a TV screen rather than in person.

“I thought that by RSVPing last night it would ensure that I would get to see her. I think everyone’s a little bummed because there are people who traveled from places like New York to get here and people like me who are skipping important classes just to see a screen and know that she’s just in the room next to us.”

Some students were luckier. Andre Abecassis, a freshman, had a spot at the event and even snagged a selfie with Hillary afterwards.

He was also at the Bernie rally last year and said the two events gave off slightly different vibes.

“The Bernie rally was more of a promotion campaign. This was a smaller rally and since we’re deep into the election, this more of an official supporter event.”

Megan Connors, a junior, also saw Bernie at Temple last school year. She’s since conceded to vote for Hillary.

“The Sanders rally was much bigger and high spirited compared to this one. Even though I like Sanders, I eventually realized later on that Hillary was the best option to beat Trump in this election and this is why I’m here.”

Though Hillary’s campaign specified this event was aimed towards drawing millennials to vote democratic in this election, her talking talking points were unsurprising and, aside from a few remarks about how important this election is for young Americans, hardly seemed directed particularly towards young voters.

She did, however, mention her work with Bernie Sanders to provide tuition free public colleges and a debt free college education for everyone.

“A four year degree should not be the only path to a good job,” she added.

Obviously, she spent a healthy chunk of time berating Donald Trump, but as political tangents go, this one was hardly noteworthy. She called Trump out for normalizing hate speech and taking advantage of disenfranchised Americans, and she emphasized the differences in her campaign and her opponent’s.

“You know the next 50 days will shape the next 50 years,” Clinton said. “This election isn’t a reality tv show. This isn’t an election of name-calling.”

Temple University