Obama wows Philly crowd with ringing endorsement of Hillary

‘If you’re serious about our democracy, then you gotta be with her’

President Obama gave a ringing endorsement for Hillary Clinton in Philadelphia today, telling a crowd of 6000: “This is not me going through the motions here. I really, really, really wanna elect Hillary Clinton.”

Speaking in the City of Brotherly Love, he announced his support of the Democratic nominee, dissing Trump by saying he “isn’t fit in any way shape or form to represent this country abroad and be its commander in chief.”

Obama giving the Rocky pose

Although Pennsylvania has voted Democrat since the first time they saw a Clinton on the ballot (six elections in a row to be precise), it seems as though Donald Trump could make headway in this election.

With 20 electoral college votes up for grabs, Pennsylvania has become a state of increasing importance to the Trump and Clinton campaigns due to the stark contrast between urban and rural voter trends.

Pennsylvania’s growing, and noticeable, divide between Philadelphia’s urban electorate and the rest of the Keystone State’s voters has officially made it a swing state this election. FOX News pundit Sean Hannity recently brought attention to just how blue Philadelphia historically has been by referencing how 59 of the city’s 1,687 voter precincts had cast zero Republican votes in the 2012 presidential election.

Increasing voter turnout in Philadelphia and its northern suburbs could be what puts either campaign over the finish line in PA on November 8th. President Obama could help energize voters in favor of Clinton’s campaign ideas, but outreach to independent voters could be harder due to economic trends in PA.

Among Trump’s strongest supporters are those who make less than $50,000 a year, which means he could do well considering Philadelphia’s astronomical poverty rate of 26 percent and median household income of $37,460. Philadelphia has an African American population of 44 percent and Trump’s abysmal one percent support from African American voters puts his hopes of winning PA in the northern, mostly white, suburbs. Pennsylvania’s below average economic confidence means the northern suburbs, along with the rural reliably Republican counties, could secure him a victory.

With this mission in mind, President Obama came to Philly to rile up the party base and increase voter registration.

Unsurprisingly, given his most recent approval rating numbers of 58 percent, everyone attending was clearly excited to see President Obama with their own eyes.

Erica, a Philadelphian, was dressed for the occasion in her ‘Don’t Boo, Vote!’ shirt

Erica, a native of Philadelphia, was proud to have seen him, as she told us: “I’m happy that I’ve had this opportunity to live through this and witness this.”

Chants of “Obama” were coupled with equally passionate “Not Hitler” chants, ominously referring to Donald Trump. Divisive and opinionated, the crowd in Philadelphia was showing a fighting spirit during Obama’s speech not unlike Rocky outside the art museum.

Popularity in context, the excitement for Obama was clearly translated into a visible enthusiasm for Hillary. Janet, a spectator from Philly, was excited about the prospect of seeing more of Obama’s ideas come to fruition: “I want to see a woman president, I want to see some of what Obama started continued.”

Obama emphasized Hillary’s impeccable experience. He told the crowd: “We have one candidate who’s traveled to more countries than any secretary of State ever has, has more qualifications than pretty much anyone who has ever run for this job.”

“We cannot take this election for granted,” he added.

Focusing on some of her hardships outside the job, Obama hit back at attacks against her character: “She’s been accused of everything you can imagine.”

He later mentioned her resilience: “What sets Hillary apart is through it all she keeps on going,” touching on how through hard times, she has shown unwavering resolve and focus, which is critical especially during the campaign’s ride through her pneumonia diagnosis.

There was a clear focus on the seriousness of the presidency during Obama’s speech. He criticized Trump’s antics: “The bottom line is that we cannot afford suddenly to treat this like a reality show.”

He added: “To be president, you have to do your homework and know what you’re talking about.”

He also appealed to those who might be unenthusiastic by invoking how democracy itself could be at stake this election.

“If you’re serious about our democracy, then you gotta be with her,” he told the crowd. “Democracy’s not a spectator sport, you don’t tweet in your vote.”

Excitement for Hillary and the urgency to move past Trump were prevalent not just for Obama but also for those in the crowd.

Crowd member Sandra told me: “We need to just come out and vote, and just be there for the Democrats. And be there for Hillary.”

Temple University