New on campus ice cream shop accepts Diamond Dollars

Brownies, cookies, waffles, cones, shakes, floats… you name it, Stella’s Scoops has it

In a city of foodies, campus food needs to match up. More and more food options have been gracing Temple’s campus. Last year Blaze Pizza and Crisp Kitchen opened up and became hugely popular, but there was still one thing missing – an ice cream shop.

There were very few options to satisfy a sweet tooth. Johnson and Hardwick ‘s dining hall had a small section for ice cream, but it was too expensive for students without a meal plan to eat there. This year, the university has finally listened to the common student’s requests.

Stella’s Scoops is located in the bottom of Morgan Hall, next to Tony Luke’s. It’s replaced Stella’s from last year, which was a small convenience store usually only attended by freshmen trying to use up the end of their weekly meal swipes.

According to Chris Barnes, the director of operations of Morgan Hall, they opened the place to reinvent the spot and keep students happy.

“We listened to the students because in every meeting students with Diamond Dollars fought for their desire of ice cream,” Barnes said. “This year I decided to do something that I wanted for the students, which some people thought was a waste and wouldn’t be successful.”

But Barnes was proven right with just a few days of school being open. “We literally can’t keep the ice cream in the house,” he said.

Stella’s Scoops has so much to offer. Barnes said they change their flavors daily and are always looking for something unique to offer – right now they have Rice Krispies cones, which add a fun twist to your daily dose of ice cream.

Their daily menu includes quite a lot of options, from milkshakes and floats to cookie and waffle sandwiches. They even offer Baker Dave’s brownies with your choice of ice cream or frozen yogurt on top.

If you’re really craving something sweet, you can try their signature Owl’s Nest. It includes eight scoops of ice cream, one cookie, one brownie, part of a Belgian Waffle, six toppings and whipped cream with a cherry on top! It’s so intense, if you finish the Owl’s Nest in one sitting and in less than an hour you get your name and picture on the wall.

With all of that to offer, there isn’t too much competition for Stella’s Scoops, especially after J&H got rid of its ice cream station. The only other store nearby with ice cream is Insomnia. But Barnes explained why Insomnia isn’t much competition for them:

“Meal plans are what make us different from Insomnia,” he said. “They can’t touch that because no one else is allowed to offer that.”

Barnes also said all of their cookies, brownies and waffles are handmade.

You can check out Stella’s Scoops Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 12 a.m., Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 12 a.m.

If you haven’t tried it out, it is definitely worth a visit. Students already crowd around the tables at night shoveling ice cream into their mouths as a reward after a long day of school.

Temple University