Man claims to have found screw in Philly Style sandwich

Philadelphia resident claims to have nearly swallowed a screw found in his wrap

A local Philadelphia resident, James Campbell, claims that while he was eating a wrap from Philly Style Pizza & Grill he nearly choked on a screw that was found inside of his sandwich.

Campbell, 27, says he visited the restaurant around 7:30pm on the night of Wednesday, April 20th after finishing up a workout at the track.

He ordered a spinach wrap with grilled chicken, took it home, and after getting about halfway through the sandwich he was “eating pretty aggressively, took a bite out of the sandwich and started to choke and cough.” His buddy, who was also at the house, came over to pat him on the back, and when he spit out his food he realized that a screw inside of his sandwich is what nearly caused him to choke.

He took pictures of the screw just after he spit it out:

Campbell then sent the pictures to his mother Demika, who told a Tab reporter about it the next day.

Campbell said that when he contacted Philly Style about it they, “just brushed me off.” This was especially upsetting to him since he lives within walking distance and visits the restaurant “at the minimum once per week, and that’s the very minimum.” He felt that a regular customer like himself deserved better treatment over this incident.

The owner of Philly Style, John Athanasiadis, has responded, saying later in the night on Wednesday Campbell came into the shop to tell them about the screw. Philly Style asked him if he would like a refund or a new sandwich, and Campbell denied both.

John said a police officer later became involved to ask Campbell if he wanted to file a police report or if he needed medical assistance. Campbell again denied both, but said he would call a lawyer.

Temple University