Here’s how Philly locals really feel about us

‘They come here and try to take over… Some of y’all are fun though’

With Temple being located in the heart of North Philly, off-campus is littered with college students and Philly natives alike.

Many students live off-campus for the freedom, independence and most importantly, the parties. Others are concerned about living amongst North Philly residents and think it’s an unsafe and dangerous environment.

So while Temple students have their own opinions of the locals they call neighbors, how do North Philadelphians feel about sharing their community with us students?

The Tab asked some local residents how they actually feel about living alongside us.

Eva and Frank don’t mind living among students

Eva (left) is 51 and has been living in the same apartment in North Philadelphia for 47 years.
She told The Tab: “No, no it doesn’t bother me.
“I was young once too– I’m not going to try to put college students down and say they’re annoying.
“We don’t hear them as much as we did before- These students are more mellow than they were before.”
Frank (right) has been living in North Philadelphia for 58 years.
He said: “I don’t mind at all. I like to sleep and I don’t hear a thing. Doesn’t bother me one bit.”

Ruth (chose not to be photographed) said: “I like living around students”

Ruth has lived in Philadelphia her entire life, but recently moved into the North Philly neighborhood.
She said: “I like living around students. I learn from them and they learn from me.
“They teach me different things I’ve never had a chance to learn in school. They’re far more advanced when I used to go to school. I speak to all of them, they’re all nice people.”

Marquis said: “I think it’s fun”

Marquis has been living in North Philadelphia for 9 years.
He said: “I think it’s fun with college students here. I talk to them and play with them. They give me advice.”
Somach said: “College kids are cool I guess. Are ya’all gonna put this on the news?”

Archie (chose not to be photographed) said: “They destruct our property, cars and all that nonsense”

Archie has been living in Philadelphia for 11 years.
He told The Tab: “No, I don’t like it at all. They destruct our property, cars and all that nonsense. I used to be able to park wherever I want to–now I have to park 4 or 5 blocks away because of the students.
“They’re fine during the week, but not on the weekends. It’s so much worse this year. Halloween will be the worst, everyone will drop like flies.”

Mira (chose not to be photographed) said: “They come here and try to take over”

Mira, 14-years-old, has lived in North Philadelphia all her life.
She said: “It’s hard sharing my neighborhood with these students. They come here and try to take over, I don’t want that. Some of y’all are fun though.”

NaBriay said: “They be out partyin’ all night and it’s all loud”

14-year-old NaBriay was born and raised in North Philadelphia.
She said: “They be throwin’ beer bottles outside, like I don’t want that. There’s all this trash on the street- it gives us a lot to do.
“They be out partyin’ all night and it’s all loud. This one time some drunk girl came up to me and my friend and was tellin’ us about her boyfriend– I was crackin’ up.”

Tony said: “I don’t find you annoying at all”

20-year-old Tony said: “It’s pretty fun. I like to see beautiful ladies like y’all. I don’t find you annoying at all. I’m loud, too.”
“I’m from South Philly and it’s pretty dead down there so I like living here.”
Temple University