Two cases of mumps reported at SU

Hide your kids, hide your wife

Yes, students of Syracuse, you read the headline right —we are paying $65,000 a year to be exposed to mumps, an infectious disease uncommon today.

Yesterday afternoon, Syracuse University News sent out an email alerting students to be aware of the two cases of mumps reported. They notified students that it's crucial to be up to date on their vaccines, most importantly the MMR shot which protects the body from mumps and Rubella.

Mumps causes severe swelling of the glands and pain throughout the body, and it's usually worse for adults than children, according to my best friend WebMD. The infection won't become noticeable for at least two to three weeks after exposure and will last seven to ten days before running its course. As it is highly contagious, it's best to stay away from anyone who has been diagnosed with mumps until they're cleared by a doctor. Once the infection has ran its course, it's believed that you're immune for life.

Other symptoms of Mumps include, but are not limited to, drowsiness, loss of appetite, muscle aches, stomach aches, and fevers. Syracuse University is working with Onondaga County Health Department in combating the infection and to clear it up before it spreads more. In the meantime, they tell students to remain diligent with their health: wash your hands with soap frequently, stay away from anyone who is ill, cough and sneeze into your arm, and if you're feeling sick, report to health services immediately.

Health Services urges you to call with any comments, questions, or concerns: 315-443-9005.

Syracuse University