Everything you’ve missed while away from the greatest place on Earth

Aaron Carter, dorm renovations, and why Kent sent out that email you probably didn’t read.

While we all enjoy summer, it is a truth universally acknowledged that being away from Syracuse University for any amount of time is horrible. Too make it feel a little closer, The Tab has rounded up all of the news from this past month.

Aaron Carter ended up at St. Joseph’s hospital after his Syracuse Concert, reportedly for exhaustion. Carter also has said he was bullied by concertgoers at Sharkey’s Bar & Grill in Liverpool.

Dana Cloud, a tenured professor of Communication Studies at SU, used one of her social media accounts to call for more people to attend a counter-protest against an “Anti-Sharia Law” rally that was held in Syracuse. Shortly after her call, Professor Cloud began receiving hate mail that included threats to her physical safety. Kent sent out an email to all of us reiterating that free speech is a key value of the University, and in support and solidarity for Professor Cloud, multiple other Professors from various academic institutions including SU have released a statement of solidarity which can be found here. Anyone can continue to add their names to it if they would like to show support for Dana Cloud as well.

Renovations have begun on Day, Haven, and Dellplain Halls that are set to be completed by the time Fall semester starts.

Remember back in the Fall when Kenneth Kavajecz abruptly became former Whitman Dean instead of the Whitman Dean? His court hearing has now been adjourned a grand total of six times.

Syracuse, NY was ranked one of the worst places in the United States to live in, based on crime rates, employment growth, attractions, educational attainment, and housing affordability. The complete list had the 50 worst cities to live in, with Syracuse coming in as number 31. The full list can be found here.

Chancellor Kent Syverud’s salary was released (along with the salary of every other College President) and well…you can buy a lot of things with it. If you want to see exactly what you could get, we’ve complied a huge list for you here.

Chucks is officially gone. Enough said. In happier news, Lyft and Uber have officially launched in Upstate New York!

And just like that, we’re halfway through the summer. See you soon Orange Friends!

Syracuse University