Syracuse students spend 13 hours a day studying for finals

Contrary to popular belief, Syracuse students do more than just try to regain our spot as the #1 party school. We apparently push ourselves to succeed academically. SU students anticipate […]

Contrary to popular belief, Syracuse students do more than just try to regain our spot as the #1 party school. We apparently push ourselves to succeed academically. SU students anticipate spending around 13 hours per day studying and preparing for final exams – a figure determined by a Tab survey of over 3000 students who self-reported their study habits from last semester, and predicted them for this one. The numbers likely vary from major to major, but STEM students will spend on average 2 hours more on studying just because they can’t stop talking about how hard it is to be a STEM major.

An average 13 hours for an SU student look like this:
Hour 1: Enter Bird Library. Plan on trying to get a cubicle but see your friends at a table so you join them instead because cubicles are depressing.
Hour 2: Realize you still haven’t started work yet, but now its 3:02 and you might as well just wait now to start at 4.
Hour 3: Decide to get a snack and coffee from Pages before you really settle in to work. Treat yourself to a large cappuccino because you have $130 left on your ID card and it will likely go to building the promenade 2.0 if you don’t spend it before the end of the year.
Hour 4: Bother your friends at the table and hope that some big news happens on Twitter so you can pretend that you’re not procrastinating if you’re staying woke.
Hour 5: Spot Seth from Sigma Apple Pi. Spend the next 45 minutes developing an extended fantasy where he comes over and talks to you and realizes he’s been in love with you since WRT 1o5 you guys both had freshman year even though he likely doesn’t remember your name.
Hour 6: Post as many Tasty videos to your best friend from home’s Facebook wall as humanly possible.
Hour 7: Decide that it is of the utmost importance to reorganize and delete all of your old documents so you can have the illusion of productivity.
Hour 8: Realize you still haven’t stated studying and open a Quizlet that some random person made 4 years ago and hope that it will suffice.
Hour 9: Finish skimming over vague Quizlets and debate with your friends if college is actually that important to success.
Hour 10: Deliriously watch old Vine videos as a treat to yourself for being so diligent in Bird for the past ten hours.
Hour 11: Calculate every scenario that could possible happen with your grades to decide which classes you’re gonna have to sacrifice. Realize you can’t sacrifice any if you don’t want your parents to regret your existence.
Hour 12: Panic mode sets in when you finally come to the conclusion you either need to cram or just take an L. You blaze through your notes and the study guide. This short window of time makes you believe that your sudden burst of energy and productivity will prevent you from taking an L.
Hour 13: Justify the fact that you just spent 13 hours of your life in a windowless basement pretending to study by the fact that you even went to Bird in the first place. Go home. Emotionally prepare to fail.

Syracuse University