Upcoming University Union events you should know about

The official student programming board of SU has some great events planned for you

University Union, the official student programming board of Syracuse University, has some great events planned for the spring semester, including everyone’s favorite music event at SU: Mayfest and Block Party. The Tab is here to outline the best UU events happening after we return to SU refreshed and ready for quad days.

Movies | Every weekend

All movies start at 8pm and are more often than not held in HBC Gifford Auditorium, found on the first floor of the building. After spring break, SU and ESF students can catch five great movies for free and even have the chance to win awesome prizes or pick up some cinema swag that UU often offers to students. The movies playing are Star Wars: Rouge One, Patriot’s Day, The Founder, Jick Wick: Chapter 2, and The Lego Batman movie.

Star Wars: Rouge One will be screening the first weekend back from break

Talks | March 31

University Union will host Issa Rae, star of “The Mis-Adventures of Awkward Black Girl” on YouTube, for a University Lecture. Issa also stars in HBO’s “Insecure.” It’s likely that she will speak about her experiences as an actress.

Mayfest and Block Party | April  28

For freshman who don’t know, Mayfest and Block Party are the biggest events of the spring semester. Mayfest begins at 1pm in Walnut Park and features free food and a concert. Last year, highlights included Louis the Child and Vince Staples. Block Party follows shortly after and is held in The Dome. University Union did not disappoint in 2016 after they booked Chance the Rapper and The Chainsmokers, featuring Syracuse University’s own Drew Taggart, for the event. Floor tickets for 2016 sold out within minutes of going on sale and there is no doubt that the same thing will happen this year. It’s been rumored that University Union has budgeted to spend a lot of money on Block Party in 2017.

The Chainsmokers close Block Party 2016

For the latest updates on University Union’s spring 2017 events, follow The Tab Syracuse on Facebook as we report on UU’s breaking news. 

@kaitlynmenegio

Syracuse University