BREAKING: Funk ‘n Waffles closing down Wednesday

10 years later

Funk ‘n Waffles will be closing down its original location on the Hill this Wednesday after being open for 10 years. In a Facebook post today, the restaurant announced it will host a final Open Mic night on Wednesday, February 22nd.

Unlike Chuck’s, which plans on returning to the retail level of the new apartment building, Funk ‘n Waffles will not be returning to the SU Hill, but will keep its second location open in Armory Square.

The plans are part of a project which will demolish the block to replace it with student housing, with the first floor being retail.

The Facebook post thanks all the customers throughout the years as well as the staff for making the original location “a place to feel at home.”

The entire post is below:

It is with a heavy heart that after 10 years of great food, delicious coffees, wonderful people, fun times, hard work, ups and downs, (and a few open mic nights thrown into the mix), Funk ‘n Waffles owner Adam Gold announces the closing of the restaurant’s original location on the SU Hill (727 S Crouse Ave). This has been difficult for us as a staff, however we are left with no choice as the building block is being torn down.

The original Funk ‘n Waffles location gave us all a place to feel at home. It was the site of first dates, graduation celebrations, comedians and musicians’ first time with an audience, children growing up, open mic night, Sunday brunch with friends, and many other completely routine and sometimes totally extraordinary moments.

Thank you to all of our customers throughout the years. We had the pleasure of serving up celebrities as they came to town, and musicians of all skill sets took the stage. We opened our doors wide in January of 2007, prepared to receive whatever and whomever would decide to come inside and create with us.

The spirit of Funk ‘n Waffles On the Hill will surely not end: our second location in Armory Square is located at 310 S Clinton Street, and remains open. But the original location is where the magic began. From the original location was borne the richness and culture that attracted Food Network’s Guy Fieri and Diners, Driveins and Dives to film and transform our business. The original location is where audiences first heard groups like Vampire Weekend, Ra Ra Riot, Rubblebucket among so many others.

The spirit of our original location is something we all can keep alive by maintaining the connections of the people we met and grew to love there.

There are no words that clearly express the love and gratitude we feel for our staff that worked so hard to keep the vision alive. Restaurant work is not easy. It takes commitment, thick skin, and a really good sense of humor. It is so rare to find such a dedicated, hardworking, and friendly staff anywhere. We became a family. We are so grateful for the love and tremendous efforts by our amazing staff. We wish everyone the best of luck in whatever path they choose in their future and look forward to lifelong friendships with you.

This corner of Syracuse has something special – support for individuality, a comfortable place to nurture one’s dreams, dedicated small business owners and a space where we were able to grow. Enough support that allowed us to open a second location just minutes away across town. But this was where it all began.

Funk ‘n Waffles On the Hill’s last day will be Wednesday, February 22, 2017. Please come see us over the next few days to get a last few Funk ‘n Waffles meals, share stories, watch and experience Open Mic night on Wednesday.

Thank you for 10 wonderful years!!

Featured image: Fund ‘n Waffles Facebook page.

Syracuse University