‘Cuse students and their snap stories take on the weekend

If you don’t post a pic of it, did it actually even happen?

Today, whether we would like to admit it or not, our society is dominated by social media outlets. They all allow us to express ourselves in unique ways, whether it is with a couple of heart eye emojis re-posted to your Facebook wall next to a video of a sleepy puppy or a really hot pic of you and all your BFFs that racks in over a hundred likes on Instagram. Although we all have our personal favorite, there is no doubt that Snapchat holds a special place in our hearts. Snapchat is probably the only place where we can take the ugliest of selfies, send it to everyone we know and not feel the slightest bit of shame (unless one of your friends decides to screenshot, then, I am truly sorry for you).

For college students, our snap stories can give you a glance into the large Dominos pizzas we order, the parties we attend (the good, bad and downright ugly) and at the end of a long weekend, the piles and piles of homework we stare at until about 9PM on Sunday night. Let’s take a look…

Friday morning

Wahoo! It’s Friday which means only a couple classes separate you from quite possibly the best weekend of your life! To get your morning going or to cure your “Thirsty Thursday” hangover if you are one of those people, you have to begin your weekend and snap story with an infamous Starbucks cup pic.

Friday afternoon

You just listened to your professor drone on about how the mitochondria is the power house of the cell for an hour and a half.  Your hands are cramped from taking notes (or from holding your phone in an awkward position so your professor can’t see it because let’s face it, who takes notes on Fridays anyways?) It’s cold outside and all you want to do is throw on an oversized t-shirt and jump back into your unmade bed. Only the walk in the freezing wind and snow separates you from a blissful afternoon nap, so you take a pic of the brutal walk back to your dorm for all your friends who go to much warmer schools than you do.

Friday night “pre-party”

Next up on your story comes the super cute selfies of you and all your friends take. Maybe you just finished getting glam and have to post how well your makeup came out or you’re doing that thing where you pose in the hallway of your dorm with your friends fake laughing or look super badass. Either way, everyone posts a before pic to show how good we can actually look before the party ruins us all.

Friday night “mid-party” 

Once you arrive to wherever you’re going, you have a post another pic to let everyone who has been so obsessively following your snap story know where you are, who you’re with, what you are drinking (solo cup filled with alcohol or water to trick everyone since you aren’t actually 21) and what music is playing. If your followers are lucky, maybe you’ll even post a hilarious video of you and some random strangers in the background belting out the lyrics to “Closer” by the Chainsmokers because let’s face it, everyone knows that song.

Saturday morning “post-party”

No way you went out to party on Friday night and made it back before 2AM Saturday morning. The next snap on your story is most likely you eating your way through an entire box of pizza all by yourself because after all, Domino’s solves everything.

Saturday afternoon

You survived. BARELY. Now that you made it through an epic night of partying, it is time to rally in the Carrier Dome and show support for the best sports teams to ever exist. EVER. This afternoon will be filled with lots of orange, overpriced popcorn or nachos (Seriously, $5 for a bottled water?), and screaming until your voice is gone and you’re afraid it may never return.

Saturday night

Damn. Back at it again except this time, you’re a pro. You know that the party you went to last night was so not up to your standards and you got some digits last night from a couple of cool new people who claim to know the best party spot on campus. In case your followers forgot what you looked like after you spent hours doing your makeup, hair and picking out an outfit, you post another selfie.

Somewhere in between Saturday night and Sunday morning

We all think too much during late hours of the night and morning. If you are anything like me, your post-party meltdown will look at little something like this.

Sunday morning

Props to you if after the weekend, you can even wake up before the afternoon arrives. Now, you take your final snap showing you in recovery mood. Not even bagels and waffles from the dining hall can save you from your heavy tired eyes and the piles of homework you’ve been looking at on your desk all weekend. Time to get to work.

Until next weekend…

Syracuse University