Seven sneaky ways to get fit in 2017

Because we all want that killer body without actually working for it

Hooray! It’s 2017 which means a new year filled with possibility, optimism, goal-setting and achieving and hopefully, happiness. If you are anything like me, each new year gives me the idea to create resolutions (not that I end up keeping very many anyway) and take steps towards improving myself, even if that means only ordering pizza once a week instead of every other day. Although many new year resolutions and goals are quite personal from person to person, there do seem to be a couple that relate to a larger population. Fitness resolutions are among the most commonly created in the beginning months of a new year but unfortunately, they are among the first to be quit and thrown to the side. Whether it be lack of motivation, or lack of cash to pay for gym memberships and organic ingredients, most people fail to reach their fitness goals by the end of the year. In an attempt to address this issue, I have complied a list of sneaky ways to get fit without actually feeling like it because we all want that killer body without actually working for it.

Take the stairs EVERYWHERE

You have to admit, these stairs always look daunting from far away

Yes, actually walk up the stairs. Taking the stairs instead of elevators to your dorm room and classes is an easy way to sneak in a leg workout. Although it may be hard at first to take the stairs when your legs are not used to it and your calves and thighs will only burn in protest, you will quickly start to see the workout become easier and your legs to become stronger, leaner and your muscles even more defined.

Only buy healthy snacks

This one has helped me a lot in the past when I’m looking to feel better and healthier. By only buying healthy snacks and ingredients for cooking and snacking, you eliminate the constant picking on chips, cookies and other delicious yet bad-for-you junk food. Although you may convince yourself you’re not hungry at first when there are only healthy options to choose from in your fridge or pantry, you will eventually learn you have to eat something and since an apple or celery is available, you’ll eat it. By cutting out snacking on unhealthy foods, you can trick your brain into no longer craving those nasty things like sugar or salt.

Drink a glass of cold water right when you wake up each morning

Before you go to bed each night, put a water bottle next to your bed or inside your fridge. In the morning, try to drink the entire bottle. Drinking a cold glass of water directly when you wake up can actually jump start your metabolism for the day ahead. That way, whether you’re sweating from an intense workout or just chilling in the library, your body will be working overtime for you.

Find a workout buddy

No matter how motivated I am to get fit in the beginning of the year, I always end up losing momentum rather quickly when it comes to working out, whether it be inside a gym or not. One easy way to force yourself to get active is to do it with someone else. Knowing there is someone counting on you to wake up and take a 5 AM spin class or go to Sunday night yoga is a huge motivator when it comes to creating a workout routine. Now, you won’t want to let your workout buddy down so you’ll go and actually do the workout! (You can even make your dog your workout buddy and then his puppy dog eyes will make it so you’ll never want to forget about his afternoon walk) Plus, working out with someone else is awesome if you can make it fun with fast-paced music, a constantly varied routine and tons of motivation from each other like “You can do it!” and “One more rep!!”

Take the long way to class

Plus, you’ll get great views

This is probably the easiest sneaky way to get healthy and feel better about yourself. Instead of taking the easiest way to class, try giving yourself a step goal each day and meeting it by taking the long way around. Not only is walking a low intensity workout, it will also help you get to see more places around our beautiful campus that you may have overlooked before. In an attempt to get in even more steps, try venturing to a different dining hall that you don’t normally go to across campus.

Dance the night away

House parties are a great place to let loose and dance because no one will notice how bad you are!

Yes! Dancing is another easy workout that you basically do every weekend with your bffs. Dancing is such a no-brainer workout because you can convince yourself that you are not working out at all but instead, just having a ton of fun. Although you most likely dance at every party, make it a point to grab your closest friends or meet new ones and shake it to absolutely every song.

Create a motivational Pinterest board

Motivate yourself! Set realistic goals! Buy a cute workout outfit that you know you look great in. To actually reach your goals, you have to make them first. Pinterest boards are a great place to organize your thoughts, ideas, favorite quotes, outfits, and unique workout moves and routines. Once you start this board, keep adding to it every time you find a new workout routine or inspirational quote and watch it grow as you become closer to reaching your goals. Use this board to put a smile to your face or to get your butt to the gym every time you feel unmotivated or uninspired to workout.

With the new year still very new to all of us, this is the perfect time to create some goals and make it a point to stick to them. Whether you incorporate one of these sneaky tricks or all 7, you are sure to be on your way to making yourself stronger, happier and healthier. May 2017 be the best year yet!

Syracuse University Hide Images