First Year Players to hold auditions and interviews for Big Fish

The org will be looking for new members January 19-22

The event of the spring semester is First Year Player’s production of Big Fish, a musical based on Daniel Wallace’s 1988 book by the same title. It was turned into a magical, larger-than-life Tim Burton film in 2003 and was adapted for the stage in 2013, finishing its run on Broadway on December 29, 2013. Big Fish is the story of the once adventurous Edward Bloom, a traveling salesman, who is now ill and therefore bid-ridden. He spends his time telling outrageous stories of his life to his son, Will Bloom. The story is told through flashbacks as Will tries to fix his relationship with his father before it’s too late.

First Year Players (aka FYP) will hold auditions and interviews for the cast, crew and pit of Big Fish January 19, 21, and 22. FYP is a student-run theater organization for first year and transfer students at Syracuse University and ESF. Past productions include Heathers: The Musical, The Addams Family, Rent, and The Wedding Singer. There are currently over 100 active members and approximately 200 alumni members, many of whom return to Syracuse every year to see the show.

13100814_10156802189305484_5199298762399340228_n

A shot from Heathers: The Musical

One of the best parts about FYP, according to various members (myself included), is the fact that it’s not just a show; it’s a family. Members of the organization have mentors and mentees, similar to bigs and littles in the Greek community, to guide them through the process and truly welcome them into the community. Students in FYP are also notorious for their enthusiasm for many other organizations and events. Their involvement spans across social and professional Greek life, a cappella groups, OTTOthon, Student Wish Makers, Chaarg, and dance troupes, among many other activities.

Active members from the 2015-2016 academic year

FYP is looking for first year and transfer students who have an unparalleled love for theater and want to become a part of the family. Sign-ups for auditions and interviews will be posted after winter break in Schine by Cube E, located near the Office of Student Activities.

@kaitlynmenegio

Syracuse University