Your 2017 formal recruitment style guide

We’re here to make recruitment a little less stressful for you

If you’re going through recruitment, you’ve probably spent the last few weeks stalking the Instagrams of active sisters of all of the chapters on campus. You’ve probably stressed a little about what to say or what to expect from each house. You’ve probably heard rumors about which house is the best or worst. (They’re all amazing in their own way, by the way. There is no such thing as best and worst.) You’ve definitely taken the time to pick out the perfect outfit to accompany all of the intelligence and wits you have to offer to every house. To take some of your worries away, The Tab has complied your recruitment style guide based on Pan Hel’s guidebook.

Round 1: Go Greek

Round 1 lasts for the entire first weekend of recruitment. The Panhellenic Council of Syracuse University requires everyone going through recruitment to wear the Pan Hel issued recruitment t-shirts along with jeans and snow boots. You will be trudging through the snow to get to every house, ladies -Dress warm!

We recommend that you wear cozy boot socks with something like L.L. Bean’s iconic Bean Boot, the Adirondack II from Ugg or something similar and warm. Pair them with your Pan Hel recruitment shirt, your favorite jeans, a winter jacket, and your coziest winter accessories.

dsc_1832

Round 2: Philanthropy 

During the second round, houses will talk to Potential New Members (PNMs) about their philanthropies (AKA the external organizations that they raise money for). You probably saw philanthropy season in full swing this fall with events like Ziti with AXiD, DPhiE Foosball, and Phi Sig inferno. These fun events are a great way to give back and something that the entire Greek community looks forward to because it’s a chance for every sorority and fraternity to bond.

Pan Hel requests that you come dressed in your favorite casual outfit. Keep it cute and easy going! Think something that you would wear to class or on a date. We recommend something like this turtleneck and faux-suede dress or this chic all-black look. For shoes, wear something comfortable and warm.

dsc_1837

Round 3: House Tours

House Tours are one of the most exciting parts of formal recruitment. PNMs have the chance to see most of the house including decorated rooms that display the values of the sorority or an inside look at the sisterhood. It’s a great way to decide what sorority you think may be a good fit for you.

Because this round is more formal than Go Greek and Philanthropy, Pan Hel requests that all PNMs dress in business casual attire. Dress like you’re going for an interview. We suggest this adorable pencil skirt from Forever 21 and a chiffon shirt like this light pink tank top. Pair it with your favorite formal jacket or your best sweater. If skirts aren’t your thing, rock a pair of dark dress pants instead.

dsc_1809

Round 4: Preference 

Preference is the day that PNMs get a glimpse of secret and special rituals that the chapter has. These rituals are only written down in one book in the house and cannot be found online. This day gives women the chance to have more in depth and intimate conversations with sisters about their experience in the chapter and to make better connections with sisters. Preference is the final day of recruitment before Bid Day.

Preference is the most formal round of recruitment thus PNMs are required to wear cocktail attire. We know many of you had to dress up for Homecoming or a fraternity Date Night. There are so many options for cocktail attire so we recommend dressing to impress. We love this chic pale pink strappy dress with a formal jacket or this black lace skater-style dress with a belt. For shoes, rock your favorite pair of heels or heeled booties.

dsc_1823

Congratulations on deciding to go Greek, ladies! No matter where you end up, every house is wonderful and will bring so much joy into your life. For my Greek women, may recruitment go quickly and smoothly for all of us. #cusegogreek

@kaitlynmenegio

A huge thank you to my sister, Mikala, for posing for these photos. @mikalamenegiostahl

Syracuse University