A sit down with ‘Cuse superstar athlete, Justyn Knight

He’s known as the Carmelo Anthony of track

Justyn Knight is the ultimate student athlete. The Syracuse University junior, who hails from Toronto, was recently named the ACC Cross Country Men’s Performer of the Year and is on his way to becoming a promising track legend. Known as the Carmelo Anthony of Syracuse track, the well-decorated Knight sat down with the Tab for an exclusive Q and A session.

What is your proudest accomplishment as an athlete?

I think an accomplishment that I am most proud of so far in my career is placing second at NCAA cross-country this year. That race meant a lot to me, I showed myself that I’m capable of contending for a medal under all circumstances.

Favorite highlight from career thus far?

My favorite highlight in my career would be winning the NCAA men’s team title in cross country last year. Our team and coaches have been working hard for many years. For us to bring home a title was the most rewarding thing, and to be able to share that with a team is something I will remember and cherish forever.

What are some of the challenges you’ve faced thus far?

One challenge I faced in particular was last year when I was trying to make the Canadian Olympic team for track and field. My body was wearing down on me and I missed the standard by 1 second, twice. This taught me how to endure when things aren’t going your way and to always put your best foot forward and give it 100%.

Any goals for the future?

My goals for the future are to win another team cross country championship as well as an individual title too. On the track side I hope to win many individual NCAA titles. After school, I hope to go pro and make a couple Olympic and World teams

Who inspires you?

My parents inspires me to be the best person that I can be. They’ve become so successful through merely hard work and sacrifice and I hope to apply that to my life to achieve my goals.

How did you feel when you heard this news about being named ACC Cross Country Men’s Perfomer of the Year? What thoughts were running through your head?

I was honored and completely thankful. I took one or two days to enjoy it, then I kept the award in the back of my head and continued to prepare for indoor track.

Did you ever think you’d achieve this much success so quickly?

I never thought it would happen this quick. I always set unrealistic goals for myself because I feel you never know what you could accomplish if you limit yourself. I think that played a role in my success.

Do you find it hard to manage your academic life, social life, and athletic life?

Yeah, I feel like most athletes have this problem, however I’m passionate about both areas in my life so I always find a way to keep a healthy balance.

How do you stay grounded and focused?

I just like to do regular things and just hangout with my friends. I don’t like to talk about my success unless someone asks me about it. I think one of the things that keeps me humble is that I am not trying to please or prove a point to anyone about how good I am. I just have a love for the sport and like to push myself and see how much more I have to give.

The Tab Syracuse looks forward to covering more of Justyn’s success, both as an Orangemen and beyond.

Syracuse University