All the reasons West Coast students love going home for Christmas

The tacos in Ernie are a sin, for one.

Okay so I’m not technically from the west coast. I’m from Arizona. But Arizona is basically California without the beaches and legalized marijuana. But this list is universal for anyone who lives on the west coast or in nearby states like Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, and basically anywhere that has cacti. We’re the students who rarely get to visit home because we can’t just take a five hour bus ride and then act like that’s far  (@everyone from New Jersey, looking at you). Being said, we take some extra time to appreciate everything our area has to offer. And with Christmas break coming up the hype is real.

Food that has seasoning

People out east, especially the Northeast, have no idea what a spice rack is. They also fear anything that is remotely spicy. Going home means we can finally enjoy eating authentic food again. The tacos in Ernie are a sin and other students that think that’s how real tacos are done makes me want to die. Our Christmas dinner will be served with Tabasco and Cholula thanks much.

Enjoying the great outdoors

The average temperature in LA in December is 56. And it’s usually pretty sunny, too. Which means that we can do things like walk outside without suffering. But get this; one day you can go for a hike and enjoy those mild temps, and the next day you can drive a little up north and being skiing at world class resorts during Christmastime that aren’t just hills in Vermont.

Listening to the Jimmy Buffett Christmas Album

Its weird because people from the east coast don’t know this album very well, but it plays constantly in houses across the west. I guess we just relate to decorating palm trees with lights and being warm during Christmas. But if you like steel drums and songs about Santa drinking rum then this makes a great staple in any home.

Never worrying about snow

West coast sunsets>>>>

White Christmases just aren’t a thing for us way down there in the US. But we also don’t have to worry about snow delays or having to drive in the snow. It also hardly rains because we really are just that special. As west coast students pack up to fly home, winter boots and coats stay here. Won’t miss ‘em either.

Basking in our self-righteousness

sorry not sorry

Yes we already talk about how much cooler the west is compared to the east at school so when we can finally go home and have snap stories and instas about it, it feels good. Yeah I know Becky from Psych 201, my In n Out DOES look unreal. But hey cut us some slack; we had to stay in our dorms while all of you went home during social blackout weekends.

Syracuse University