The ultimate affordable NY winter starter pack

You don’t know winter unless you’re from the northeast

Winter is quickly approaching but are you prepared? Last season Syracuse felt the nice influence of El Niño, a weather phenomenon that caused mild winters across the northeast. Unfortunately for those of you who aren’t from this neck of the woods, you haven’t seen a true New York winter unless you’re a junior or senior. There are many things you need to get ready for the snow and ice. I’ve complied a collection of some of my favorite affordable winter wear.

Snow boots

You already know I have my Adirondack II’s on under that snow

It’s no secret that Syracuse sees upwards of 115 inches of snow every winter. My favorite type of boots are the Adirondack II’s from Ugg and Tofino II’s from Sorel. If neither one of those are your style, check out the fur lined Bean Boots from L.L. Bean. No matter what boots you pick, pick something that is lined with (faux) fur to help keep your feet warm when you’re trudging through a foot of snow to get to class since Syracuse doesn’t cancel for anything.

A parka

Eddie Bauer is love, Eddie Bauer is life

For some reason, everyone on this damn campus thinks they need to have an $800 Canada Goose jacket to stay warm. Guess what? That’s not true at all. My favorite jackets are from Eddie Bauer because they keep you just as warm (if not warmer) for $500 to $600 less. My favorite is the Lodge Down Duffle Coat for women and the Boundary Pass Parka for men. Another great place to get a jacket is Helly Hansen, a company that specializes in outdoor sports like bicycling and skiing.

A big, fluffy scarf

The only thing that will save you all winter is the biggest scarf of your life. My favorite scarves are from H&M because they’re cheap and soft. I have actually used a blanket scarf as a blanket while traveling in Poland and it saved me. The best styles from H&M right now are plaid so if you don’t like plaid, now is a good time to start.

Mittens

For the good of the piece, I’ll release this hideous photo of me

Whatever you do, do NOT get leather globes. They will not keep you warm at all. I learned that the hard way as a freshman in high school when I picked up the greatest leather gloves from Banana Republic and tried to shovel snow in them, merely retiring to my couch with my hands hovering over the heater in tears. My favorite mittens are always from L.L. Bean because they create products with breathable material like the Baxter State Parka Mittens.

An application to transfer to a southern school

If it begins to snow and you find that you can’t hang, it may be time to transfer to a school in a bit of a warmer climate.

Syracuse University