An open letter to my friend who doesn’t have finals

I still love you, even though I hate you

The despair of finals has been looming over campus for weeks. Copious amounts of coffee has been consumed. Sleep is a foreign concept. Anxiety is at an all-time high.

And what are you doing? Relaxing.

smiling through the pain

You are my friend and I love you so much, but it kills me every time finals (specifically, your lack thereof) are discussed. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy for you! Well, maybe not exactly happy. A little jealous, a little annoyed, a little sad.

Now I’m onto my double digit hours of studying in Bird, feverishly searching on WebMD, “Can you actually die from stress?”, as you enjoy your fifth episode of Law&Order SVU. I begin to wonder if Karma is real, and what I did to deserve this cruelty.

But, no. It seems to just be the luck of the draw (or rather, the luck of the professor).

yes, this has 3 extra shots

That slight smile that comes across your face as the words, “I don’t have any finals” are said only reminds me of the pressures of my own impending doom. I smile back, masking my pain.

Honestly, if I were you I would act the same way. And I know you’re not being malicious, but the combination of stress and sleep deprivation just makes me a little more sensitive than usual. So yes, while I am happy for you, keep the comments internal.

I love you, even when I hate your lack of finals induced stress.

Syracuse University