How to stay healthy during finals

Twas the night before finals, and all through the college, the students were praying for last minute knowledge

The word “finals” is synonymous with all hell breaking loose at every college campus across the country at the same time. There are two types of student during #FinalsSZN: the one who holes up in Bird Library, crying at the thought of having to do anything related to school (aka me) and the one who doesn’t give a shit about finals, deciding merely to wing it. Regardless of what type of student you are during finals, chances are that at some point the stress and weather will get to you. Here’s how to stay in tip-top health during finals.

When in doubt, drink water

The best thing to do (even when you’re not sick) is to drink water. You should aim for 6-8 cups of water per day. If you don’t reach that goal, don’t fret. Tea, fruit, and veggies will help you reach your goal. Water will keep your body working properly and will make you less prone to headaches from studying so much.

Sometimes choosing sleep over work is okay

it’s okay to sulk in bed, promise

When I was a freshman, I had to write a paper that required me to interview two upperclassmen about their best advice for freshmen. The best advice I’ve ever gotten was from a current senior who told me, “Sometimes you need to choose between school and sleep. When it gets to that point, always choose sleep. Don’t stay up to do readings when you’re falling apart. You’ll learn the same things in lecture the next day.” Don’t let yourself crash and burn. Go to sleep.

Wear all of the outerwear you own

It’s no secret that it’s getting cold and pretty soon all of ‘Cuseland will be covered in powder again. Snow doesn’t come without wind and ice so it’s time to break out those down jackets, scarves and gloves. Don’t let yourself catch a pesky cold because you were too cool to wear a jacket.

Don’t eat like crap for the first time in your life

At least make an effort to pick healthy choices at the dining hall during the week of finals. There are studies that show that eating a healthy meal before taking an exam can help you focus and will boost your stamina. Ramp up your consumption of fruits, vegetables, and lean protein during finals. After your exams are done, treat yourself to all of the holiday cookies your stomach can handle.

Hit the gym for a boost of energy and endorphins

You hate it, I hate it, we all hate it but working out is one of the most important things that can help keep you mentally and physically healthy during the winter. Exercising releases endorphins that will boost your mood and give you more energy. It’ll also prepare you to eat your feelings away at home in a few short weeks.

Find time for fun

One of my favorite ways to relax is doing Adopt a Street with FYP

This is not me telling you to get out there and party until you drop. Find time for things like Netflix, reading a good book, going to a concert at Hendricks or Crouse, going to see a show at The Stage, or spending time with friends. Taking a break every once in a while will allow you to blow off some steam and keep your sanity in check.

While finals suck, they don’t have to suck that much. Take care of yourself and your friends. We’re all in this together. Good luck!

If the snow or stress has got you feeling down, contact Health Services or The Counseling Center.

@kaitlynmenegio

Syracuse University