WHAT Theatre presents Carrie: The Musical this weekend

It’s going to be a night you’ll never forget

High school, telekinesis, blood, and singing? Sounds like it’s time for What Theatre’s annual fall musical. This semester, WHAT Theatre presents Carrie: The Musical, a show based on Stephen King’s famous Carrie and the 80s cult classic film.

Carrie is the story of Carrie White, a religious isolated teenager living in Chamberlain, Maine, and the discovery of her telekinetic powers. Carrie was raised by a religious single mother who has taught her to follow a oppressive religious lifestyle. When Carrie is humiliated by her classmates at the senior prom, all hell breaks loose as Carrie uses her telekinetic powers to get revenge.

Kayla Temple as Carrie White

WHAT Theatre is a student-run theater organization for non-drama majors of all years that began in 2006. The organization puts on an annual fall musical and spring play. Past productions include Almost Maine, Hair, and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Each year, they select two directors to bring a show of their choice to The Underground’s stage.

This semester Max Murphy, a junior Advertising Major, is fortunate to be directing Carrie. The Tab spoke with him about the show.

Max Murphy, Director

Max has been dreaming of doing Carrie since he was 16. “Working with an exception group of people to spread Stephen King’s story along with the message of being kind that comes with the musical has been a dream.” His cast is small with only 14 people, but all have extensive theater experience and have been working to bring such a beautiful show to life.

“To see the cast, crew, and pit put our own original touch on the story has been so incredible. As someone who has seen the movie, musical, and read the book many times, I can say that this version is different from any other out there, making the classic story fresh and exciting.”

Max and his assistant director, CJ Santosuosso, as well as other members of their creative team have all been rehearsing alongside members of the cast, crew, and pit since late September.

The show opens on Friday, December 2nd and continues to Saturday, December 3rd. Both performances will be at 7pm in The Underground located in the Schine Student Center. Students can buy tickets for $3 at the Schine box office or here.

@kaitlynmenegio

Syracuse University