The true application to Syracuse University

Inspired by our friends at Ohio State, here is what’s we didn’t know was important when applying to SU

We all think we know the university that we’re applying to as seniors in high school. Everyone does their research and everyone is excited to leave their hometowns to thrive at a new school surrounded by new people. For some, Syracuse University isn’t all that they thought it would be and for some, it’s more than they thought it would be.

Here are the things we all wish we knew before applying to Syracuse University.

The party scene is great…if you’re in a frat or a girl

In 2014, Syracuse University was ranked the number one party school in the country, leading to the most number of applicants in SU history for the Fall 2015 semester. Many current sophomores and freshman decided to apply almost exclusively based on this ranking. The parties here are great but only for students in organizations that are notorious for partying or if you have boobs. Often times, guys are turned away at the door or forced to pay upwards of $10 to get into a party that probably wasn’t that great anyway. (Regardless, I’ll vouch for guys standing at the door any time.)

Last winter wasn’t shit, sophomores

For those of you who saw your first winter last semester and thought that was bad, you’re in for an unpleasant surprise. El Niño blessed ‘Cuse with a relatively tame winter during the 2015-2016 year. You better get to L.L. Bean now to buy those ugly, thick mittens that your mom told you to get last year because you’re going to need them. You know that I got those mittens for Christmas last year and I LOVE them.

Wait…where did my tuition go?

Where the money went, if you didn’t know

That’s right. I’m going there. SU completed over 100 construction projects over the summer of 2016 including many renovations to dorm buildings, something we all can appreciate. But all of us who paid attention last semester are still upset about the use of $6 million to build a glorified brick path. (The bricks aren’t even symmetrical, Pete Sala.) While the university claims that our tuition increase did not go towards the promenade, how can we be sure? This semester we’ve seen many things slide through the cracks. Between cockroaches in the Watson basement, the elimination of the pasta bar, and a minimal salary increase for our hardworking professors, we’re all left wondering where our money went.

Who’s that guy standing by Starbucks with that anti-gay sign?

Don’t you know you’re in New York on a college campus? What you are doing here?

Speaking of Starbucks…

There is no line like the line at Starbucks on Marshall Street. We all love our coffee and snacks before class but that line is ridiculous. We all wish we knew to download the Starbucks app before getting to SU…

Don’t get me wrong, I love Syracuse University as much as all of Orange Nation but I think we all wish that we knew more about some of the true qualities of SU before coming here that make our campus unique. Except for that guy standing down by Starbucks. To hell with that guy.

Syracuse University