We spoke to the girl behind SU’s feminist Insta account

‘Feminism isn’t just about gender equality, it’s about little girls going up in a world where they are free to do whatever they want without being ridiculed for their choices’

In this social media age, we have Instagram models, “finstas,” and everything in between. Now, Syracuse University has it’s very own feminist Instagram, an account that highlights feminism and feminists here on campus.

Run by Junior Mary Catherine Carter, it features students, alumni, and inspiring quotes about feminism that bring something new to your feed. The Tab sat down with Mary Catherine to learn more about this new addition to the many Syracuse Instagrams.

What made you want to start the Instagram?

I’m currently in WGS 101 with Simone Puff. We got a three-part mid-term, and the third part had to be something creative. I’m not really creative though, so I did the Instagram. I got the idea from the Humans of New York account, but with feminism at Syracuse instead.

How do you get your submissions?

I’ve pretty much just been getting them from my roommates, sorority sisters, and friends. But people can DM the account with a picture and a quote if they would like to have their thoughts on feminism posted.

Have you encountered anyone upset with it?

Not really, every response has been positive. The only problem people might have is thinking of feminism as man-hating. It’s not always easy to get people on campus to do it though.

What would you say to people who have an incorrect definition of feminism, or feel that we don’t need it any more?

Look around you. Once you star thinking about feminism from the perspective we are opened to in Women’s and Gender Studies, which is a very intersectional view, you see it everywhere. Look at things more critically. Look in politics, women are not represented well. Look at media, the way that female celebrities are analyzed is very different from the way male celebrities are.

What do you think the most important aspect of feminism is?

Feminism as a whole is important, but intersectionality is very important. All about you’re not just a woman, you have all kinds of other identities that form your experience, and you can’t understand anyone unless you consider all of it.

What would you like to do in the future with this Instagram?

I want people to submit more, because it’s pretty small right now, but I would also like the feminist movement to spread.

What does feminism mean to you?

It’s hard to put into words. Finding a definition for what feminism means to me has been nearly impossible, which is why I haven’t posted a picture of myself on the Instagram. Feminism isn’t just about gender equality, it’s about little girls going up in a world where they are free to do whatever they want without being ridiculed for their choices. It’s about little boys learning that you don’t hit a girl to show her you like her. When I think about feminism, I think about the world my future children will grow up in, and that’s why this has become so important to me.

To see more photos and/or to follow the account, click here. 

Syracuse University