Roommates find and house lost gecko on South Campus

This would only happen at Syracuse University

Members of the Syracuse University Class of 2019 Facebook page got a surprise this morning when Victoria Batista posted about a lost gecko on South Campus.

The Tab spoke with Victoria’s roommate, Gaby Beauchamp, about the incident.”I was walking to the bus on my way to my first class and I saw the bus stopped at the bus stop by Farm Acre Road. I wasn’t trying to run to the bus so I walked around the opposite side of the tree that I usually pass when crossing the field between the houses.”

That’s when she saw Pico the gecko. She was looking at the newly fallen leavesĀ and thought that she saw a spotted leaf. She quickly realized that it wasn’t a leaf, but instead a leopard gecko.

Gaby has done previous research on leopard geckos because she wanted one for her dorm room. (Don’t tell SU Housing.) “I knew not to pick it up by its tail because it could detach. I also knew that they have to be kept in really warm environments so I knew that if I left it out there, it would die.”

Gaby then called her roommate, Victoria, who was still at their South Campus apartment, and “asked her to bring out an container.”

So what are their plans for Pico the gecko?

“I’m already emotionally invested in Pico and I wouldn’t mind keeping him!” Gaby said.

Syracuse University