Pussy grabs back: A recap

About 100 SU students took the streets and came together to peacefully protest

On Friday night at 9PM, a group of protesters met outside Carnegie Library to march in protest of Donald Trump being elected president on Tuesday. The event started as a Facebook invite, called “Pussy Grabs Back.” The event was shared with over 1,100 people on Facebook.

About one hundred students of different age, race, and gender backgrounds met on the steps of Carnegie at 9 PM and came prepared with signs and chants. The protest started off with people addressing the crowd and discussing their fears of a Donald Trump presidency, or why they were upset that the nation allowed it to happen.

The Tab spoke exclusively to SU sophomore Griffin Brooks, one of the event organizers. “Myself, along with Julia Rome, wanted to organize this event because this country was originally made by and for the people and it is very clear that this is no longer true. Also, the fact that the people voted for Hillary and the state choose Trump because of the flawed electoral college system has a lot of people afraid and angry. We want to let the people of America know there is still hope as long as we come together to spread a message of love and acceptance across the country,” he said. 

The protestors then moved down through Marshall Street, Walnut Place, the Quad, and then  College Place before ending outside of Maxwell in front of the Abraham Lincoln statue.

During the march, the group was met with both cheers of agreement from onlookers, and criticism from those who disagreed. Popular chants during the march included “Equal rights are human rights” and “Love trumps hate.” Protesters remained outside of Maxwell chanting and speaking into a megaphone to the crowd. The event lasted over an hour and remained peaceful throughout the entire time.

Syracuse University women speak up at Pussy Grabs Back

Syracuse University